Fitness Center Attendant (Part Time, Temporary Hourly, Non-Benefited)
Posting DetailsApplication Instructions
Please read carefully before applying:You must provide all information requested on the application form (resumes will not be considered as a substitute for the application). Initial screening by Human Resources for minimum requirements is based on your APPLICATION ONLY (supporting documents will not be reviewed during initial screening). Incomplete applications will not be considered by hiring committees. You will have an opportunity to upload supporting documents for committee consideration during this online application process.Position Information Posting Number: 06001350 Position Title: Fitness Center Attendant (Part Time, Temporary Hourly, Non-Benefited) Posting Date: 09/03/2018 Closing Date: Open Until Filled (notes): Open for Academic Year Length of Position: Temporary, as Needed Basis Anticipated Start Date:
Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring Terms 2018-19Position Type/Employee Class: Temporary PT Hourly FTE: < .50 FTE Salary Level: Oregon Minimum Wage / Irregular Wage Salary Schedule Starting Minimum Pay: $10.75/hr, non-benefited position, Starting Maximum Pay: $12.25/hr, non-benefited position Hours per Week: Hours May Vary Work Schedule: Work Schedule May Vary; Schedules Listed Under Primary Purpose Days of the Week: May Vary between Monday to Sunday Job Summary/Purpose:
Provide facility oversight and monitor participant use of the Mazama Gym and Fitness Center areas, ensuring user safety by requiring appropriate behavior of users.
Terms of Employment:
• This is a part-time (<.50 FTE) temporary limited duration position, non-benefited, and non-exempt that is eligible for overtime.
• Requires flexible work schedule, which may include evenings and or weekends as determined.
• Upon hire, must pass criminal and/or driving history; only information relevant to the position will be considered.
Work Schedules and Shift Needs
•Shift 5: 7:30 -10:30 pm Monday – Thursday
•Shift 6: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm Saturday, and 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm on Sunday.
1.Closely oversees and regulates fitness center users to ensure a safe experience, adherence to rules; provide information regarding proper use of gym equipment and enforce safety rules of the facility.
2.Provide access information to new users of the facility about how to obtain a user card/sticker.
3.Perform set-up and take down of equipment for activity classes and facility open hours.
4.Assist instructors with set-up and take down of equipment for activity classes; provide occasional assistance to club sports director and intramural coordinator.
5.Check out locks to students and staff; maintains required records.
6.Remove towels from the dance studio; responsible for washing and folding towels.
7.Performs cleaning duties, maintains cleanliness and sanitation of room and equipment; responsible for cleaning, disinfecting and putting away CPR equipment.
8.Assist with training of and mentoring new facility assistant staff members.
9.Performs other related duties and responsibilities as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills and abilities or demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
1.Ability to train and mentor entry-level staff assistants.
2.Knowledge of College policies, procedures and emergency plan.
3.Ability to effectively communicate in oral form, and communicate with people of varying ages, fitness experiences and needs
4.Ability to handle stressful situations and/or people with the tact and professionalism expected of a staff representative at COCC.
5.Demonstrate a positive, motivating and caring demeanor in carrying out duties
6.Ability to react and perform appropriately in an emergency.
7.Knowledge of fitness practices and techniques.
Working hours are typically Monday through Sunday 5:30 a.m. to 10:30pm and Friday through Sunday 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. and may be assigned to other shift configurations based on business need of the Mazama Gym. Position may be assigned to any shift, or day of week. Requires the ability to safely operate fitness equipment, walk, reach, bend, climb or pull self upward, kneel, stoop, crawl and crouch. Position involves extended standing and walking, and some lifting weighing 10-50 pounds as well as the potential for rescue assistance of persons who may become injured. A computer is used less than 25 percent of the time. All individuals are required to be able to perform the essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
Persons in this position may be exposed to blood or other potentially infectious materials. All employees who have been identified as having the potential for this exposure will be offered the hepatitis B vaccination at no cost. The employee has the right to waive these inoculations.Equal Opportunity / Non-Discrimination Statement
The goal of Central Oregon Community College is to provide an atmosphere that encourages our faculty, staff and students to realize their full potential. In support of this goal, it is the policy of Central Oregon Community College that there will be no discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, disability, sex, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status or any other classes protected under Federal and State statues in any education program, activities or employment. Persons having questions about equal opportunity and nondiscrimination should contact the Equal Employment Officer, c/o COCC’s Human Resources office, 541.383.7216.Minimum Qualifications:
1.High School Diploma or GED equivalent; And
2.Experience in fitness training; Or any satisfactory combination of experience and training.
3.Certified in Adult CPR or have the ability to obtain certification within 30 days of employment.
The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants who do not meet minimum qualifications but present other qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be considered and are encouraged to apply. To qualify under equivalency, applicants must indicate how they qualify under equivalency by responding to the supplemental question presented during the application process.Special Qualifications:
•Previous work experience in a fitness center environment.
•Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply.
THIS RECRUITMENT IS HIRING FOR AN ON-CALL TEMPORARY HOURLY NON-BENEFITED POSITION, TO ASSIST WITH SCHEDULING VACANCIES AND REPLACEMENT NEEDS.
NOTE: You may be required to upload required documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents, including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact Human Resources at 541-383-7216.Is a Criminal History Check required? No Is a Credit History Check Required? No Open Until Filled Yes Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your highest level of education?
- No High School Diploma or GED
- High School Diploma or GED
- Professional Certification or License (not a degree)
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree in Progress
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree In Progress
- Masters Degree
- Ph.D. in Progress
- Other Doctorate Level Degree
- The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants who do not meet minimum qualifications, but present other qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be considered and are encouraged to apply. There may be other requirements where an equivalency is acceptable. Please be aware that applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements and do not provide an equivalency statement will not be selected for an interview. Your statement should make clear the requirement you are addressing. Example: The position requires a Master’s degree. You have a Bachelor’s degree, additional applicable education, and work experience that when combined you believe is equivalent to the Master’s degree requirement. Please provide a clear statement why you believe this combined education and experience is equivalent to a Master’s degree.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you a U.S. military veteran? (COCC provides qualifying veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment. To receive veterans preference in this recruitment process, you must upload your DD214 or DD215 form as supporting documentation. You will have the opportunity to upload the document in the next step of this application process.)
- Yes, I am a veteran
- No, I am not a veteran
- If you have identified yourself as a qualified veteran or disabled veteran by submitting your DD214 or DD215 form as proof of veteran status, please describe any transferable skills earned during your military service that you feel relate to the requirements/preferences of this position.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Background checks are required for all employees of COCC. Should an offer of employment be made to you and accepted by you, you will receive an email from COCC / HireRight Screening requesting your consent and basic information to complete the check. The offer of employment will be conditional upon satisfactory completion of the criminal background check. Confirmed findings on a criminal background check will not automatically disqualify you from being hired into a position. Results are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, considering the job responsibilities and other risk factors. Additional information regarding COCC’s criminal history check policy can be found online in the General Procedures Manual, Section HR-2-1. Please indicate here if you will provide consent to the criminal history check when requested by the College:
- Yes, I will provide my consent when requested
- No, I will not provide my consent when requested
- * Please describe your experience in the exercise and fitness industry.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you hold a current healthcare provider level CPR certification?
- Yes, my certification is current
- No, I do not hold this certification
- In progress - Certification or recertification will be completed by hire date
- License or Certification
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- College Transcript 1 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 2 (unofficial)
- US Military DD 214
- Other Document 1
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3