Vice Chair of Education - Department of Pediatrics (Open Rank-Associate Professor/Professor)
University of Colorado School ofMedicine
University ofColorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics
Vice Chair of Education
Position #697823 –Requisition #15902
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado AnschutzMedical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating aninclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engageeffectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
TheDepartment of Pediatrics has an opening for a Vice Chair of Education. The incumbent will report to the Chair of theDepartment of Pediatrics and will have oversight and executive managerial responsibilityin integration and coordination of all of the department’s diverse educationalprograms. This includes providing support, guidance and advice to adiverse group of committees, work units, and individuals.
The University of Colorado Anschutz MedicalCampus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront oflife-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receivesover $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largesthealth professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchersand a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drivesinnovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleledpatient care. Read CU AnschutzQuick Facts here.
- The Department of Pediatrics has anewly established Center for Education Research and Scholarship (CERS) whichsupports research and scholarship in health professions education and creates aculture of collaboration among educators across the department. The newVice Chair for Education will be responsible for recruiting a Director forCERS.
- Centerfor Innovation at Children’s Hospital Colorado to incorporate educationalinnovations in the department and across the University; for more informationabout the Center: https://www.childrenscolorado.org/research-innovation/the-center-for-innovation/
- Strongeducational mission across the University; School of Medicine Curriculum reformand Academy of Medical Educators for more information about the AME: http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/education/academy/Pages/default.aspx
Examples of Work:
- Supervise the administrative staff under medicaleducation in the department
- Work with the Department to develop andmaintain the annual operating budgets for all education programs and departmenteducation research and scholarship activities to ensure fiscal responsibilityand establish sustainable financial stability, to include identifying areas ofopportunity, support needed, and utilization of resources
- Serve as an alternate representative forthe Chair on hospital and university committees relevant to educationalactivities, in the Chair's absence or as the Chair deems appropriate
- Liaiseand collaborate with Children’s Hospital leadership and administration to ensurecompliance with accreditation standards and advocate for investment andimprovement in existing educational programs
- Interfacewith various stakeholders to the facilitate education partnerships across theUniversity
- Contributeto departmental and hospital-wide strategic planning efforts and assureaccomplishments pertinent to activities pertaining to the educational mission
- Support the development andimplementation of the use of technology to promote innovative curriculum,assessment, and evaluation within educational programs (e.g., learningmanagement system, use of mobile devices to enter assessment data)
- Meet with the Chair at least annually toreview overall departmental educational events and contributions, anticipatedor planned initiatives/goals for the upcoming year, as well as redefinition ofthe scope and direction of the Vice Chair for Education responsibilities
Salary is negotiable andcommensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation
Your total compensation goes beyond the number onyour paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plansand retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
The ImmigrationReform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility bedocumented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons withdisabilities.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation (for questions, please contact [email protected])
Please click herefor information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University ofColorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus iscommitted to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty andadministrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture ofinclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourageapplications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and allveterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality ineducation and employment.
The University ofColorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus isdedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff,students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct backgroundinvestigations for all prospective employees.
- MD, DO, and/or PhD degree
- Aminimum of 5 years of UME or GME educational administrative experience – proventrack record of educational leadership
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able and willing to pass a 10 panel drug test
- Must be able and willing to pass a national criminal and sex-offender background check
- Advanced training pertinent to the fieldof medical education and/or educational leadership – preferably both (e.g.,Master Teacher Fellowship or equivalent, advanced degree in education,Educational Leadership courses)
- Be a faculty member at the rank ofAssociate Professor or above
- Experience working across departments, schools, and affiliated institutions
Knowledge,Skills and Abilities:
- Dedicationto diversity and equity for all learners
- Must demonstrate a record of excellence inteaching, educational scholarship and service
- Must demonstrate interest, commitment andleadership in education with excellent communication skills
- Must be willing to function at a highmanagerial level in a complex health care organization
- Excellentcommunication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills
- Abilityto maintain confidentiality
- Commitmentto education as the path to move forward critical missions within the DOP
- Abilityto gain credibility and respect among high level leadership
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Mar 14, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing