Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-04-03
The University of Virginia is a highly competitive Division I program committed to academic and athletic excellence. The Department of Athletics is currently seeking applications for the position of Multimedia Designer. Multimedia Designers are experienced creatives who typically specialize in a particular medium, such as graphic arts, photography, videography, audio production, multimedia, motion graphics, or web design. They may have mastered multiple specialties in order to provide enhanced services to clients. Their work is conducted independently, in alignment with the larger vision for a project or program. They are able to translate organizational goals into strategic media deliverables, achieving the overall vision for a project. They are experienced in handling clients, subjects, and projects. They have advanced knowledge and expertise in areas such as layout, typography, composition, photography, motion graphics, editing, user interface development, or other design specialties.
The Multimedia Designer supports the Virginia Football program, particularly in creating graphic designs and print materials to support recruiting prospective student-athletes. Other designs could support communications to a variety of other groups, including, but not limited to alumni, fans, donors, parents, and faculty and staff. Responsibilities include: exemplary customer service to internal and external constituencies; serving as an art director and graphic designer; facilitating the planning, creation and timely production of graphics for UVa athletics websites and social media, digital and print advertisements, brochures and other materials; assisting in the daily management of student interns; planning and creating designs for the communication of information to various external and internal constituencies.
Along with uploading both a resume and cover letter, please submit a sample of creative work with your application materials at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, Requisition number R0003951. Please do not forward any applicant materials directly to Department of Athletics staff, as only applications received through this system will be accepted. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The anticipated hiring range for this position is $45,000 - $50,000, dependent upon qualifications. For information about the position or the application process, please contact Michele Jarman, Academic Recruiter, [email protected]
- A Bachelor's degree with a major/minor in Graphic Design, English, Journalism, Communications, or a related field; equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- With a Bachelor's degree, some professional experience in Graphic Design is also required. Without a degree, a minimum of 4 years of Graphic Design experience is required.
- The ability to: utilize standard principles of professional design; demonstrate a high level of proficiency in graphic design software, sports terminology, sports writing, and photo editing; convey information, and/or plans clearly in written format; and demonstrate strong interpersonal skills in interactions with all UVa and Athletics Department staff, outside community including fans, visitors, the press, prospective students, parents, and other constituencies.
- Must possess strong organizational skills and the ability to supervise staff; and the ability to present a professional demeanor and maintain confidentiality while delivering a high level of internal and external customer service.
- Computer Applications: Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, and other graphic design-related software
- Bachelor's degree with a major/minor in Graphic Design, English, Journalism, Communications, or a related field.
- Significant (4+ years) Athletics Graphic Design experience is highly preferred.
- Significant experience utilizing the Adobe Suite and other graphic design software.