Assistant Football Coach, Defensive Coordinator
Category:: Administrative Positions
Locations:: Springfield, OH
Posted:: Mar 14, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Ref. No.:: 1-90034-50101
About Wittenberg University:
Founded in 1845, Wittenberg is a nationally ranked, private, liberal arts college related to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and has an enrollment of about 1,800 students. Wittenberg enjoys a national reputation for excellent academic standards and is widely known for its friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Wittenberg has an exceptional staff and award-winning faculty who share a commitment to undergraduate teaching, research, and development of students into successful global citizens. Situated on 100 acres of rolling hills in Springfield Ohio, Wittenberg is easily accessible from Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati.
Wittenberg is a NCAA Division III institution participating in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) and offers a broad-based intercollegiate athletics program with 23 varsity teams and numerous club and intramural opportunities. For additional information, please visit our website at www.wittenberg.edu.
Wittenberg University is recruiting for an Assistant Football Coach with primary focus as a Defensive Coordinator, to assist the Head Football Coach in leading all aspects of a NCAA Division III football program. The selected candidate will have excellent organizational and communication skills and will interact effectively and appropriately with student-athletes, parents, alumni, faculty, peers, community members, and administrators. Skills to evaluate prospects and maintain/ensure student-athlete academic integrity are essential. We are seeking applicants with a demonstrated commitment to the mission and values of Wittenberg University and to Division III athletics.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Adhere to and enforce all University and athletics department policies and procedures, conference, and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Coordinate, attend, and supervise all daily practice sessions, workouts, team travel, and contests with specific responsibility to the defensive aspects of the football program.
- Recruit, retain, and monitor student-athletes who are academically prepared for the academic demands required of students at Wittenberg University.
- Ensure that all practices are conducted in a professional manner according to Wittenberg and NCAA time requirements.
- Adhere to departmental procedures relative to purchasing and travel expenditures.
- Maintain and have thorough knowledge of NCAA, conference, and institutional rules and regulations.
- Report any alleged violations of NCAA, NCAC, or institutional rules and regulations.
- Supervise, monitor and submit all work study hours of student employees and contracts.
- Attend all staff meetings and departmental functions.
- Provide an opportunity for annual evaluations with student-athletes.
- Participate in special projects and additional duties as assigned by the Vice President and Director of Athletics & Recreation.
- Demonstrate support for diversity, equity, and inclusiveness as well as participate in maintaining a respectful, positive work environment.
For this position, we require that candidates have a bachelor's degree. Minimum requirement of 1 to 3 years of previous collegiate coaching experience; preference for candidates with 4 - 6 years. Defensive coaching and playing experience is preferred. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, social media, Front Rush, and video-related software.
Travel is required as well as some evening and weekend work.
Wittenberg is committed to attracting and retaining highly qualified individuals who collectively reflect the diversity of our student body and society at-large. Please see our notice of nondiscrimination housed on our website.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled.
We ask candidates to set-up an account and apply through our online system. As part of the application process, candidates will be asked to upload the following documents in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat format:
2. Cover letter
3. Name, address, and phone number of three professional references.
If you are a person with a disability and require assistance with the application process, please contact Wittenberg's Human Resources Department at 937.327.7517.