Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs
Associate Dean for Faculty AffairsDepartment
School of MedicineVacancy Number
Macon, GAJob Type
Mercer University School of Medicine is seeking an Associate Dean of Faculty Affairs and Development to serve three campus locations: Macon (main campus), Savannah and Columbus. This faculty position at the rank of Associate Professor/Professor and will begin as early as 07/01/2019. This position is a resource to and advocate for faculty and staff while supporting needs of administration in assigned areas of responsibility. The incumbent will promote faculty governance as liaison to the Bylaws and Nominating Committees; maintain and adhere to updated policies and bylaws; communicate the changes to faculty; annually review and update the MUSM Faculty Handbook and formally communicate changes to faculty.
For Promotion and Tenure: Manage the appointment, promotion and tenure processes in conjunction with the Promotions and Tenure Committee; develop, interpret, and implement guidelines for the faculty; direct the faculty appointment process for the School of Medicine; serve as a resource to and advocate for faculty engaged in promotion and/or tenure process, including CV and application review and feedback.
For Professional Development: Design and implement initiatives that enhance the career and leadership development of the faculty and staff. Maintain and publish a faculty and staff development calendar to include all educational or development opportunities offered.
For Recruitment and onboarding: Develop and manage recruitment and onboarding, to assure a robust orientation to the University and Medical School, mentoring and faculty development.
The incumbent is responsible for upholding the mission of the school and is responsible for providing overall leadership and oversight of the programs that support students and enhance their educational experience in the School of Medicine. For over thirty years, MUSM has focused on training medical students to fulfill MUSMs mission of preparing healthcare professionals to meet the primary care and health care needs of rural and underserved Georgia residents and communities. Emphasizing interactive and problem-based teaching strategies, our student-centered faculty provides a conceptual and practical foundation that equips graduates to be discerning consumers and innovative producers of knowledge across a variety of medical and community settings, as well as academic institutions. Through teaching, scholarship, and service, students and faculty work closely to have local, regional, national, and international impact.Qualifications
Candidates must have:
- Terminal degree, M.D. or Ph.D., from an accredited college/university
- Prior experience in a medical school or academic center, with excellence in major educational leadership including but not limited to roles associated with higher education leadership, graduate education, recruitment and human resources
- Ability to manage a major unit of the medical school and provide services at three MUSM campus locations
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and to work collaboratively with other units within the medical school and university-wide to support the mission of the medical school
- Strong interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with faculty governance
- Ability to mentor faculty and staff
- Ability to think strategically and lead initiatives that will promote faculty development and stature within and outside the School and University
- Ability to think creatively in developing novel opportunities for faculty and staff at varying career stages
- Commitment to practices that foster diversity, inclusion and equity
Selection of the final candidate is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.Pay Rate
Commensurate with experienceRequired Documents
CV, Cover Letter, ReferencesSpecial Instructions to Applicants
Interested candidates will need to complete a brief online application and submit a CV, letter of interest, and the names and contact information for three references. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.EEO Statement