Multimedia Producer - Illinois Public Media (111368)
Illinois Public Media
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Illinois Public Media seeks a Multimedia Producer. Illinois Public Media has a unique opportunity to work on our statewide public radio talk show, The 21st. We are looking for a producer to join our innovative team. This is not your typical public radio show; we are looking for people who enjoy taking risks, creating great radio and digital content. We are a small, diverse team who love what we do and like to have fun while we do it. If this sounds like a good fit for you, please apply.
Primary Function: Help shape all aspects of the broadcast and digital production of The 21st, Illinois Public Media's daily, one-hour talk show.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works closely with host and production team to create timely, relevant and inclusive programming on the news, culture and stories that matter to Illinois. That includes working closely with the host and production staff to conceive, book and produce segments; pre-interview guests; write scripts; screen calls. The idea is to create daily programs that stand out among local and public media with topics that surprise, guests who captivate and stories that connect with listeners.
- Demonstrates sound news judgment, the highest journalistic ethics and an understanding of the sound and role of public media. Identifies voices and views that we don’t tend to hear on public broadcasting and develop specific topics of coverage, series and signature segments.
- Keeps up-to-date on news, arts, culture and other local and regional issues. Reads a wide range of national and regional newspapers, news sites, blogs, magazines, journals, books, social media and other sources to identify engaging topics of conversation. Identifies the “big idea” or shared experience underlying local, national and international news stories to develop surprising regional angles and conversations.
- Writes and edits copy for web and social media; prepare and post stories and images; repackage interviews and segments for sharing online and engage with audiences through social media. Plays a key role on The 21st team helping to expand the reach and impact of the show on air, online and in the community. Communicates effectively with current and potential partners.
- Participates in pledge drives, marketing activities, community engagement projects and other audience interactions as assigned on behalf of Illinois Public Media.
Requirements and Qualifications:
1. Demonstrated experience in journalism including working on deadline in a news environment; booking guests or interviewing people; writing as a student or professional journalist; and use of social media.
2. Demonstrated experience with digital media editing programs such as ProTools, Adobe Audition or Hindenburg
3. Any one or any combination totaling three (3) years (36 months) of the following types of preparation:
a) progressively more responsible work experience in the production and presentation of radio or television programs, social media, and/or print or online journalism
b) vocational training in radio and/or television production, journalism, social media, news or feature writing and/or announcing or closely related fields
c) college course work in radio/television, journalism, social media, news or feature writing or closely related fields
- 60 semester hours equals one (1) year (12 months)75 semester hours equals one (1) year and six (6) months (18 months)90 semester hours equals two (2) years (24 months)120 semester hours or a Bachelor’s degree equals three (3) years (36 months)
Successful candidates will have:
- Ability to connect local, regional and national current events and issues in ways that are relevant to the audience.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely for broadcast and web.
- Familiarity with libel rules, social media policies and best practices.
- Ability to learn and comply with FCC rules, emergency alert system requirements, and severe weather coverage policies.
- Ability to learn and follow the codes of ethics adopted by Illinois Public Media.
- Skills in using audio recording equipment and digital cameras and editing software, Adobe preferred.
- Skills for adding multimedia content to websites using web content standards.
- Skills for using social media.
- Demonstrated reporting and writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and pitch timely, diverse and relevant story ideas.
- Ability to meet strict broadcast deadlines.
- Ability to work accurately with strict attention to detail.
- Ability to work well with colleagues and the public.
This is a full-time Civil Service Media Writer/Producer/Announcer I position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the close date. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applications must be received by April 3, 2019. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.Step 3) Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable) and names/contact information for three references.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Annetta Allison, [email protected].For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.eduCollege Name or Administrative Unit:College of Media/IPM Category:8-Technical Title:Multimedia Producer - Illinois Public Media (111368) Open Date:03/13/2019 Close Date:04/03/2019 Organization Name:IPM Administration: General