Senior Financial Analyst, Medical Education
Posting DetailsI. JOB OVERVIEW Job Description Summary:
The School of Medicine and Health Sciences Finance Office provides financial management and oversight for the school’s operating units. The Senior Financial Analyst will be responsible for supporting the Undergraduate Medical Education (UME), and the Graduate Medical Education (GME) and International Medicine Programs areas of the school with budgeting, forecasting, long range planning, and day to day business operational support, to advance SMHS and GW’s education and research mission.
This Senior Financial Analyst performs a wide variety of complex analytical and administrative duties to support financial analysis, trending and forecasting operations within the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, in addition to strategic financial planning. This position works closely with the department’s Finance Director (FD), Sr. Associate Dean for MD programs, and collaboratively with senior staff in the Undergraduate Medical Education and the Graduate Medical Education. Business responsibilities typically include collaborating with finance staff in preparation of multi-year budget projections and forecasts, detailed account analysis and tracking of trends, and recommendations for resource allocation. This position runs financials from the enterprise system and provides monthly reports to FD and departments, including explanation of variances and recommendations for corrective action during the year if needed. Additional responsibilities include analyzing financial data to identify trends, analyzing and tracking research financials, mitigating potential risks, and researching industry best practices (e.g. financial benchmarks, policies, statutory codes, etc.) for a variety of administrative and fiscal requirements. This position identifies gaps in business processes and procedures, and supports the FD in developing internal financial and budget management policies, processes, and procedures to enhance information flow and maintain accurate records for the division. This role develops tracking and monitoring tools to ensure progress in achieving strategic and department work plan goals, and reviews key performance indicators division-wide, such as invoice aging, budget utilization, and transaction cycle times. This position completes extensive reporting, including budget reports for several departments, ad-hoc reports, and other requests for financial information. Other responsibilities include
• Supports the Finance Director in managing budgets and business activities, including procurement, expense reporting, compensation management, and resource planning to ensure compliance with established University and SMHS guidelines.
• Provides support for Undergraduate Medical Education operational activities conducts data collection, analysis and reporting for departments and affiliate institutions. Reviews and updates pre-clinical and clinical education activity to support the MD program.
• Provides analytical support for the Graduate Medical Education program, reviews resident rotation activity at affiliate sites; reviews and reconciles monthly and annual affiliate billing; assists with budget planning and financial models for new GME partnership initiatives; assists with new resident hire process as needed.
• Assists Finance Director with managing affiliation agreements to include updating affiliate compensation models for instructional support and other funds flow activities.
• Completes and coordinates SMHS surveys, reviews data from affiliate sites to be incorporated into the surveys; maintains and organizes survey results for benchmarking purposes; maintains select project survey tracking to ensure timely submission; serves as a resource on survey matters.
• Participates in the maintenance of confidential information (e.g. financial, personnel, etc.); provides customer support for internal customers, affiliate entities, and other external entities.
• Acts as the Dean’s office human resource and Colonial Temps liaison; reviews funding for human resource actions; initiates recruitment hiring process; and, conducts onboarding.
• Supervises, sets goals, and provides performance reviews for 1-2 full time staff members who support the administrative structure; coordinates front desk coverage for the Dean’s suite during hours of operation; serves as timekeeper for Dean’s office staff.
• This position performs other duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 5 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study plus 3 years of relevant professional experience. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
Degree in Accounting, Business or a related filed. Master’s degree is preferred.
Excellent analytical abilities combined with a focus on thoroughness and quality of information.
Proficiency with MS Office, with Advanced Excel, relational database systems and reporting skills. Experience with Oracle, Banner, Cognos and other systems utilized at the University are highly preferred.
Demonstrated experience of multi-tasking, highly organized and detail oriented.
Previous experience in higher education setting.
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S008095 Job Open Date: 03/13/2019 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3