Instructor of English - Fall 2019 (Tenure Track)
Instructor of English - Fall 2019 (Tenure Track)
Job no: 492540
Position Type: Full-Time
Experience Level: Mid-Level
Categories: Full-time Faculty
Role: Instructor of English
About ECC:Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Work Schedule:Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the department.
Rate of Pay:
Commensurate with education and experience.
Job Summary:Full-time teaching faculty instruct students and evaluate their progress to facilitate students in attaining their educational goals.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
A master's degree in the discipline or in a related discipline with at least 18 graduate hours in the discipline
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1) Conduct assigned classes and/or labs
2) Prepare lessons
3) Provide course syllabus (which shall include course information, grading standards, attendance policies, classroom behavioral expectations, and course outline)
4) Utilize learning outcomes assessment and measures to improve learning/instruction
If a lab is involved:
5) Prepare labs
6) Enforce lab safety procedures
Evaluate Student Progress
1) Keep accurate record of student performance
2) Provide students with timely feedback
Provide Student Assistance
1) Maintain office hours and voice-mail/e-mail communication
2) Give career and academic advice
3) Refer students to student support services
4) Accommodate special needs students
1) Review/select textbooks and instructional materials
2) Develop/revise courses
3) Develop/revise degree/certificate programs
4) Review/revise course outlines
5) Participate in articulation of courses/programs
If occupational program is involved:
6) Consult with advisory committees
Participate in Professional Development
1) Keep current on research and technologies in assigned specialties
2) Participate in professional growth activities
3) Participate in professional organizations
Participate in Departmental/Institutional Routines
1) Assist in scheduling of classes
2) Assist in setting departmental goals, learning outcomes and selection of textbooks
3) Participate in assessment of student learning outcomes at the college, program and course-level
4) Assist in assessing new equipment and/or supplies
5) Serve on standing committees
6) Serve on ad hoc committees (for example, search, college task-force, or instructional area committees)
7) Participate in program review
8) Comply with registration/records procedures
9) Verify student enrollment
10) Attend College-wide faculty meetings
11) Serve on non-tenure faculty evaluation committees in accordance with the agreed upon Faculty Evaluation Handbook
12) Complete the requirements of the evaluation process
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of this position but it is not intended to be exhaustive.
Sedentary (up to 10 lbs occasionally, sitting most of the time)
Close visual acuity (e.g. computer, assembly)
Typical office or administrative
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
Elgin Community College Support Staff of Elgin Community College Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 03/20/2019 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: March 13, 2019 Central Daylight Time