Library Audio Visual Technician
Library Audio Visual Technician
Mar 13, 2019
The Visual and Multimedia Resources Department (VMR) of the Pratt Institute Libraries is responsible for circulating audiovisual equipment and media, including laptops, projectors, video and still cameras, light kits, DVDs, VHS tapes, and 16mm films, as well as maintaining and scheduling technology-equipped classrooms in the library and planning and installing Library exhibitions and displays.
Under moderate supervision and with moderate latitude for independent judgment, participate in the day-to-day operations of the Visual and Multimedia Resources Department, facilitating the circulation, installation, setup, and use of audiovisual technologies as needed for instructional and outreach purposes within the Libraries.
Located on Pratt’s historic 25-acre campus in the culturally diverse neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, the Pratt Institute Libraries recognizes the strength that stems from a diversity of perspectives, ideas, backgrounds, approaches, and experiences. We aspire to continue to grow as a place that always welcomes and encourages individuals of all backgrounds to contribute to and be part of Pratt culture.
- Provide audiovisual support throughout the Libraries; ensure that the facilities and equipment are well-kept and functioning properly; troubleshoot as necessary.
- Configure audiovisual resources which support the Libraries’ Public Services mission, including use in library displays, events, art installations, research exhibits, and other outreach activities.
- Oversee operation of busy circulation points and facilitate the lending and use of videos, films, and equipment.
- Record content (video/audio/photo) to be used in conjunction with online tutorials, library instruction, and promotional purposes; document Library initiated and partnered endeavors.
- Participate on the Libraries’ Technology Team; assist with installation, implementation, and maintenance of technology purchases and upgrades.
- Communicate and enforce procedures and policies associated with the distribution and use of audiovisual resources within the Libraries.
- Perform preventative maintenance and repair audiovisual equipment used throughout the Libraries; interface with vendors as needed.
- Maintain, organize, and inventory audiovisual resources; participate in cataloging and tracking loans.
- Research and recommend new equipment to meet the needs of Library users; keep current with trends.
- Propose policies and procedures associated with department services.
- Develop training guides and procedures on the proper use of Library equipment to access collections, and document and present work; conduct demonstrations and training for students, faculty, and staff as needed.
- Participate in the hiring, scheduling, training, and supervising of student workers and graduate assistants.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned
Salary: $45,674.10 + benefits. This is an OPEIU Local 153-Technical position.
Education: Bachelors degree required.
Experience: Must possess at least 2 years of experience assisting technology users, preferably in an academic environment (teaching and/or training experience included). Must possess knowledge and expertise with a broad range of film, video, and projection equipment and be able to demonstrate a strong familiarity with current instructional technologies, as well as the ability to troubleshoot and perform basic equipment repair.
Knowledge and Skills: Working knowledge of computer systems and applications; the ability to work precisely on detail oriented information; excellent organizational skills; good interpersonal and communication skills with an emphasis on customer service. Knowledge of library related systems and workflows preferred.
Special Skills: Working knowledge of videoconferencing, teleconferencing, and Crestron and Extron Control Systems is desirable.
Other: Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills and superior customer service skills required.
For best consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume by April 13, 2019.
If you are selected for an interview, please be prepared to provide at least 3 References via our on-line reference tool system. At least 2 of your References must be, or have been, your direct supervisor.