- Performs office processes using Workday software, including
- maintaining budgets, expenditures, records, credit card reconciliation, making payments/transfers
- ordering and processing payments for departmental supplies and equipment
- checking reports and processing/maintaining invoices
- assisting faculty with travel expense reconciliation
- assisting department with administrative tasks related to job searches.
- Other duties as needed.
- Assists the Departmental Chair in compiling departmental information and maintaining departmental records
- Facilitates communication between department members separated by office locations
- Maintains department website.
- Maintains spreadsheets for all departmental accounts and faculty grants.
- Reports status of expenditures versus budget monthly to Department Chair
- Plans and oversees special events including promotion, food set-up, travel arrangements, coordination with appropriate entities, etc.
- Maintains student records including majors and advisees for the department.
- Maintains alumni contact information and prepares and distributes news, updates, and invitations to alumni.
- Assists in gathering data on student participation in engaged learning activities, student outcomes, and other data, as needed, for assessment.
- Maintains departmental files.
- Types correspondence, tests, handouts, etc. for faculty members, as needed.
- Copies tests, exams, handouts, etc. for classes, as needed.
- Reserves rooms in Furman buildings as needed by faculty and student groups.
- Communicates with appropriate university resources/departments regarding issues with computer projection systems, lighting, building repairs and needs, or any other repair needs for classrooms.
- Communicates effectively and with diplomacy, tact, and confidentiality when responding to questions from students, parents, employees, supervisors, and the general public.
- Works amicably with all levels of faculty, staff, administration, and external constituencies.
- Completes annual performance review process with supervisor to understand job performance expectations and how they fit into the department and university goals. Willing to hear constructive feedback and implement improvements.
Works with directors of China, India, Japan study abroad and May Experience by:
- Advertising study abroad programs
- Coordinating program preparation with appropriate campus offices
- Providing necessary information for travel agent
- Booking international airfare and providing travel agents information as requested by faculty directors
- Managing student visa acquisition (either advising students for individual visas or obtaining group visas)
- Arranging, maintaining, and supervising the student docent program
- Maintaining the order and arrangement inside the Place of Peace
- Report any irregularities and disturbances of in and outside the Place of Peace to the Facility Services
- Organizing and maintaining reading room resources (e.g., donations, purchases, solicitations, cataloging, security, and check out)
- Supervising student employees and scheduling hours for each term.
- Providing a welcoming atmosphere for students, faculty, prospective students and other visitors
- Answers the telephone, e-mail and voicemail, greets people by answering questions, taking messages, or referring to the appropriate person
- Maintains department copy machine and fax machine.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Works with department chair, study abroad directors, and LIASE director on program operation. Often interacts with all department faculty and the wider campus community to address program development and administrative issues. Acts as a liaison between the department and students, prospective students, parents, student workers and the public.
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
Responsible for own work. Must be able to prioritize multiple tasks and delegate some work to student assistant. Institutional tasks often require following established rules and procedures, while program development tasks require creativity.
Reports To: Department Chair and Chinese Studies Coordinator. Work is generally performed in collaboration with chair, program directors and other faculty
Minimum Education/Skill Requirements:
- High School graduate with two or more years of experience in an office environment or related field required.
- Openness/open-mindedness to cultural diversity.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat, word processing and spreadsheets, website maintenance, Outlook email and calendar, social media.
- Experience with budget management required.
- Time management skills and ability to multitask, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Attention to detail, ability to proofread and correct errors that may occur during the normal course of work.
- Overseas travel and familiarity with Asian cultures
- Bachelor's degree with two or more years of experience in an office environment or related field.
- Experience with Workday preferred, but not necessary.
Work is performed under usual office conditions.
High School (Required)
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Administrative-Assistant_R000507
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency