Dean, Academic Services (Math, Science & Engineering)
Dean, Academic Services (Math, Science & Engineering)
Salary: $112,250.00 - $150,426.00 Annually
Job Type: Management
Job Number: 5767-m- 03/19
Closing: 4/12/2019 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Visalia, CA
Department: Academic Services
Division: Math, Science and Engineering
Under the direction of the Vice President, Academic Services, the Dean, Academic Services (Math, Science and Engineering) will provide leadership, direction and administrative responsibility to a diverse and comprehensive academic services division charged with promoting and delivering programs and services that enhance student success. The Dean works collaboratively with other academic divisions and student support services. Areas or responsibility include:
- Astronomy and Meteorology
- Computer Science
- Earth, Natural and Physical Sciences
- Geology and Geography
- Mathematics and Engineering
- Math, Engineering, Science Achievement Program (MESA)
- Title V Math, Science and Engineering Grants
College of the Sequoias Community College District serves a diverse community of learners and is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution. COS provides a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, career and technical programs for our students. We are dedicated to recruiting employees who are committed to helping a diverse population of students achieve their educational goals. We seek candidates who exhibit an understanding and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for student success.
Job duties include:
- Provide leadership, supervision and administrative direction to all functional areas of responsibility.
- Direct and supervise and evaluate assigned academic and classified staff; recommend for employment, direct the assignment of, and direct the evaluation of all assigned student services staff.
- Provide leadership in the District's dual-enrollment program with K-12 feeder Districts.
- Responsible for the development of the instructional class schedule for assigned divisions.
- Support, implement, and promote equity in all aspects of employment and education; encourage cultural and ethnic diversity in staffing, curriculum, programs and services.
- Prepare, monitor, and recommend an annual budget for assigned Academic Services component of the college and approve and monitor fiscal expenditures for all programs within the areas of responsibility.
- Develop, oversee and manage STEM Grants.
- Manage and supervise MESA program.
- Serve as the District's Chemical Hygiene Officer.
- Manage and maintain biological collections.
- Maintain garden and greenhouse facilities.
- Coordinate and monitor outreach activities such as "Expanding Your Horizon" and "Science Olympia".
- Administer the review and evaluation of the Academic Services programs and make appropriate recommendations for change or improvement.
- Recommend and implement approved plans and policies to facilitate and improve the operations and programs of Academic Services.
- Work cooperatively with college staff, coordinators, managers and administrators to achieve established goals and objectives for all programs within the divisions.
- Stay up to date and keep informed of instructional technology, including distance education.
- Develop and generate statistical data and reports related to Academic programs.
- Develop and maintain additional Academic Services at the Tulare and Hanford Center and off-campus locations as necessary.
- Make recommendation to the Vice President of Academic Services regarding outreach and recruitment programs.
- Interpret District policy and administrative decision to those employees under your supervision.
- Provide leadership and direction for a staff development program for classified and certificated personnel in the Academic Services area.
- Direct and participate in the preparation of grant proposals for external funding as needed.
- Prepare and present governing board matters, reports, and actions items related to areas of responsibility.
- Coordinate program review and program planning for areas of responsibility; participate in and support the accreditation process.
- Represent the college in District and State-level activities related to Academic Services Operations.
- Serve on committees as assigned; act as evening Administrator as assigned.
- Assume other duties normally associated with management.
- Maintain division websites.
- Indoor work environment.
- Multi-project, fast-paced office environment; able to meet concurrent deadlines.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to communicate in person and on the telephone with management, supervisory, academic, classified staff and the public.
- Ability to remember key information and concentrate for long periods of time.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard.
- Ability to read normal and fine print.
Knowledge and Abilities
The hiring committee is seeking evidence of the following:
- Principles and practices of leadership, management and supervision.
- Purpose, mission and goals of the Sequoias Community College District.
- District organization, operations and budget.
- Laws, regulations, restrictions and requirements related to area of assignment.
- Budget preparation, implementation and administration.
- Needs, interests and concerns of various groups of community college students.
- Concepts and principles of effective student learning.
- Accreditation, strategic planning, outcomes assessment, and data-driven decision making.
- Provide leadership, direction and support to staff involved in assigned programs and services.
- Communicate clearly in both oral and written form.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, cultural and disability background of community college students and staff.
- Prepare and administer budgets.
- Stay current with trends and technological advancements in assigned area of responsibility.
- Work cooperatively in an environment of shared governance by maintaining effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff and community organizations.
- Control difficult and sensitive issues and problems and resolve conflicts.
- Interpret, apply and explain District policies and legal regulations and requirements.
- Select, assign, orient, train, supervise, counsel, discipline and evaluate performance of direct subordinates.
- Work cooperatively with other educational institutions and agencies (i.e., 4-year universities, State Chancellor's Office and other community colleges, County Office of education, K-12 schools).
Education & Experience
Any combination equivalent to:
- Master's degree from an accredited institution.
- Two years of leadership experience reasonably related to the administrative assignment.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, social, economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students
Licenses and Other Requirements
- Valid California's driver's license
- An incumbent must be insurable at the "standard rate" by the employer's insurance carrier at all times while employed in this classification by the College of the Sequoias Community College District.
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit:
- An online job application.
- Diversity Statement (included within the online application).
- Letter of interest which addresses how the applicant's experience and/or education enables him/her to be able to perform the job duties.
- Unofficial copies of transcripts of all college/university work. Official transcripts required upon employment.
- Two (2) recent letters of recommendation addressing pertinent experience or equivalent competencies.
Full-time Managers enjoy a number of benefits while working at the College of the Sequoias. These benefits include:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (for more information, please visit "Employee Insurance" on COS' Human Resources webpage at: http://www.cos.edu/About/HumanResources/Pages/Insurance.aspx
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Plan (STRS or PERS)
01 Please provide a statement about yourself that specifically demonstrates sensitivity to the needs of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the community at large.
To apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cos/jobs/2381929/dean-academic-services-math-science-engineering
COLLEGE OF THE SEQUOIAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The College of the Sequoias Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity and are not subject to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, gender, color, language, accent, citizenship status, ancestry national origin, age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, parental status, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability or medical condition, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency