Software Engineer – Application Development, Biocomplexity
Job location: BIOCOMPLEXITY CENTER
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-03-12
The Network Systems Science & Advanced Computing (NSSAC) Division of the Biocomplexity Institute & Initiative (BII) at the University of Virginia is seeking Software Engineers for multiple positions in application and middleware development. BII performs world-class informatics research in life sciences, social sciences, and human health through computational methods in a transdisciplinary, team science research environment. Application areas include computational epidemiology, computational biology, computational social science, and more.
As a Software Engineer and member of NSSAC, you will develop and support web-based applications for systems that support analysis and research in NSSAC application areas. The position will be a combination of independent work and collaboration with team members.
- Develop, test, and maintain code for production-level web-based systems
- Coordinate with other team members and users to understand requirements, verify correct operation, and account for impact on any other system components
- Use code version control system (GitHub) for code management and deployment
- Fix identified bugs in the system
- Participate in design and other project discussions
- Bachelor’s degree in CS/CE or related field, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of modern UI paradigms, designs, and technologies
- Experience developing in Python
- Experience developing in Linux/Unix/MacOSX
- Good communication skills
- Structured development using code repository such as GitHub
- Bioinformatics knowledge and experience
- Experience developing in C/C++
- Experience with databases (e.g. ,Postgres, MongoDB, Oracle)
- Experience using HPC and web services
The UVA Biocomplexity Institute is located in the UVA Research Park at 995 Research Park Boulevard, Charlottesville, VA. This is a restricted position based upon the continued availability funding.
Upload the following materials at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs (Requisition number R0003937):
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for three references
For questions regarding the position or application process contact Savanna Galambos, Recruiter, at [email protected].The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.