Secretary 1 - Office of Learning Services
Department:: Office of Learning Services
Locations:: Oswego, NY
Posted:: Mar 12, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About SUNY Oswego:
Description of SUNY Oswego: Founded in 1861, SUNY Oswego is a public comprehensive college located in Central New York on the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, 45 minutes from Syracuse. Named one of "Top Up-and-Coming Schools" in U.S. News "America's Best Colleges" in 2010, a Kiplinger's "Best College Value" for 2015, and a "Best Northeastern College" by Princeton Review every year since the first edition in 2003, Oswego offers its 8000 undergraduate and graduate students preeminent academic programs in the arts and sciences, business, communications, and teacher education. The College's success is built on providing students outstanding educational experiences with attention to a liberal arts and sciences foundation, practical applications, interdisciplinary approaches, independent scholarly and creative work, and skills for living in multicultural and global communities. The emphasis on faculty-mentored student research and creative projects is evidenced by Quest, a daylong symposium spotlighting original student research; a stipend program for students engaged in research and creative work; and the Global Laboratory, a STEM-based research abroad program at top-ranked universities around the world. SUNY Oswego is an unusually collegial and vibrant community and is in a time of wonderful opportunities with extensive facilities construction and renovation, a forward-looking strategic plan, and expanded outreach to regional, national, and international communities.
Additional information about SUNY Oswego can be found at www.oswego.edu.
Oswego is committed to enhancing its diversity. SUNY Oswego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is actively engaged in recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. We encourage applications from qualified applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim SUNY status, or criminal conviction. Please click here to see our full non-discrimination policy.
In accordance with USCIS regulations, successful applicants must be legally able to work in the United States per the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
Requests for reasonable accommodations of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to the Human Resources Office by calling 315-312-2230 or emailing [email protected]
For Campus Safety information, please click here to see the Annual Security and Fire Report (Clery) on the Human Resources Website.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
The Office of Learning Services at the State University of New York at Oswego invites applications to fill a full time, Secretary 1 position, Grade 11.
Posting Date: March 12, 2019
Review Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary: $40,324/year. Commensurate with qualifications and experience. In addition, the State University of New York provides an excellent benefit package. Please click here for more information on benefits for full-time CSEA professional.
Date of Appointment: As soon as possible.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Serve as the only full-time administrative support person for the office and oversee the day-to-day functions which includes seven professional staff members.
- Schedule various meetings and maintain the calendar for the Director of the Office of Learning Services.
- Assist the Director (and other professional staff members) with various duties including, but not limited to:
- Itineraries, meeting preparations, drafting and editing correspondence, travel arrangements-airline, hotel, transportation, etc.
- Assist with organizing and preparing for special programs that occur each semester.
- Manage tutor application process for 100-115 tutors using eRez Life. Review each application to ensure compliance with requirements and file the paperwork with the payroll office in a timely manner.
- Use myOswego to get grades for all new and returning tutors.
- Provide administration training to desk attendants and tutors.
- Supervise 10-15 desk attendants/week (3-5 daily) to ensure good customer service and consistency of daily operations.
- Review attendance and reconcile student bi-weekly payroll from TutorTrac for 100-115 tutors and desk attendants including the thousands of students utilizing the tutoring centers during any given semester.
- Monitor and track information from TutorTrac software and surveys to prepare annual reports.
- Distribute mail and paychecks.
- Answer phone and greet incoming visitors/students. Provide answers for those that you can and refer others to the appropriate person or office.
- Maintain several budgets. Process IFR, Allocation and Journal Transfers for Academic Affairs.
- Process purchase requisitions from various accounts.
- Order supplies for all office personnel and keep an inventory of supplies kept on hand.
- Maintain website for office.
- Email tutoring information to student referred by advisors in Starfish. Maintain a database and follow up on tutoring.
- Process paperwork, train, and supervise graduate assistant.
- Interview potential tutors.
- Point of contact for eRez Life and TutorTrac issues.
Candidates must be permanent competitive or 55 b/c employees of New York State to be eligible to apply for this position.
One year of permanent competitive service as an Secretary 1 OR be reachable on the Secretary 1 eligible list OR have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the law.
70.1 transfer or reinstatement:
One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Secretary 1 OR have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title within two salary grades of the target title that is eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of Civil Service Law.
Permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Secretary 1.
One year of permanent competitive service Keyboard Specialist 1, Keyboard Specialist 1 (Spanish Language), Keyboard Specialist 2, Keyboard Specialist 2 (Spanish Language), Law Department Document Specialist Trainee 1, Law Department Document Specialist Trainee 2, Law Department Document Specialist, Data Entry Machine Operator, Data Entry Machine Operator (Spanish Language), or Senior Data Entry Machine Operator.
Conditions of Employment:
This will be a permanent or provisional appointment. Candidates should be aware that a preferred list, transfer list, placement roster and/or reemployment roster of laid off State employees may be certified against this vacancy by the Department of Civil Service.
For more details, reference New York State Department of Civil Service, Job Title Code # 2912000, Secretary 1 and Grade 11.
If you have any questions about the position, please call or e-mail:
Submit a cover letter addressing qualifications, CV/resume, and contact information for three professional references (only the three referees listed in your Interview Exchange application can be considered and contacted) electronically by clicking on the APPLY NOW button.
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please click here to login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.
Please click CONTACT US if you need assistance applying through this website.