Dean, School of Communications
The Dean of the School of Communications is a dynamic and innovative leader who possesses a clear vision to successfully prepare QU students for professions in the complex and ever-evolving world of communications. Reporting to the Executive Vice President and Provost, the Dean will provide overall leadership in fostering academic excellence across communications disciplines as well as maintaining strategic relationships with media companies and professionals. As the school’s chief officer, she or he will understand the challenges facing both the media and communication industries/professionals and higher education and be responsible for the full range of activities associated with the management and promotion of excellence of the theoretical and practical mission of the school. The Dean oversees the hiring, promotion and retention of faculty and staff, facilitates the development and oversight of student curriculum and degree programs, has responsibility for financial matters including budgetary and space allocations, provides strategic vision and manages the academic leadership of the school.
The successful candidate can be granted tenure and rank upon appointment if the candidate qualifies in an SOC department.
- Master’s degree required; Ph.D. or other terminal degree preferred.
Qualifications & Responsibilities:
• Administrative experience in higher education and/or a track record of academic leadership
• Familiarity with classroom and teaching practices in higher education and an appreciation for our teacher-scholar model and student-centered learning environment
• Experience working with an academic unit on strategic planning and in order to help the faculty and staff to determine and implement the vision for the future of the school
• Experience with direct management and accountability for the School of Communications budget
• Experience with fundraising, development, and recruitment
• Managerial experience in media/communication industries preferred
• Understanding of the challenges facing both media and communication industries/professionals and higher education
• Provide leadership and advocacy through shared governance with faculty, administration, and other stakeholders
• Build relationships with alumni, media/communication professionals, industry leaders, and prospective students and parents
• Foster an environment of collegiality, respect, openness and cooperation
In your letter of application, please take the opportunity to describe your administrative philosophy, along with your sense for the 1 or 2 greatest challenges that a SOC is likely to meet in the next half decade.
All resumes and cover letters should be submitted to the [email protected]
Apply for Dean, School of Communications
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly