Assistant Professor of Spanish, Tenure Track Position
***EXTERNAL POSTING OPEN TO ANY QUALIFIED CANDIDATE***
Date: March 12, 2019
Title: Assistant Professor of Spanish, Tenure Track Position
Position Number: 959
Academic Calendar Year: 32 weeks (Fall & Winter Semesters)
Date Available: Fall 2019
Annual Salary: Master’s Degree: $55, 691
Reports to: Associate Dean, School of Arts & Sciences
Close Date: April 12, 2019
- Teach GRCC course offerings in Spanish.
- Develop and implement teaching methods that employ interactive learning and integrate current instructional technology.
- Participate fully as a member of the Language and Thought Department in such activities as department meetings, curriculum development, assessment, evaluation, course revision work, committee membership, textbook selection, community outreach and other duties as determined by the College.
- Provide leadership and mentoring for adjunct Spanish faculty as needed or requested by the department.
- Assist the Department Head in the evaluation and revision of existing courses and the development of new courses.
- Advise students and perform other tasks normally expected of faculty members.
- Engage in professional development activities and maintain expertise in the field of Spanish.
- Teach courses at off-site locations as needed.
- A Master’s degree in Spanish or a Master’s degree in a closely related field with 18 graduate credits in the teaching discipline.
- College teaching experience.
- A minimum of two years full-time teaching experience in Spanish at the college or university level; the equivalent part time or adjunct teaching time will be considered as having met the minimum.
- Community college teaching experience.
- Ph.D. in Spanish.
- Experience working with non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds and with varying academic skills.
- Experience working with a variety of learning methodologies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.
- An interest in working with diverse student populations who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability.
- A commitment to serve the Kent County community.
- Demonstrated initiative and organizational and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff and the general public.
- Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule changes.
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Classroom environment in an academic setting
- Travel to offsite locations may be required.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs. Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. For full consideration, please submit a CV/resume, a cover letter specifically addressing the job description, unofficial transcripts, and three professional reference letters. You may upload the letters yourself or your supporters may attach to an email to [email protected]. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on April 12, 2019 at 11:59 PM ET. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.