Executive Director for Institutional Equity and EEO
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Title Executive Director for Institutional Equity and EEO Department EEO Programs / Affirmative Action Full Time/Part Time Full-Time Requisition Number S19399 Open Date 01/29/2019 Close Date Salary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.Benefits Eligible Yes Eligible for Overtime No Position Summary
Rice University is a leading, wide-spectrum research university, with a beautiful 300-acre wooded campus located in the heart of Houston. Rice is a private university that is consistently ranked among the top 20 universities in the United States. A member of the American Association of Universities, Rice is a university of international reach, defined by its distinctive focus on undergraduate education, low student to faculty ratio, residential college system, commitment to affordability and diversity, and research excellence across a full range of academic disciplines.
The position of Executive Director of Institutional Equity and EEO represents an exciting opportunity to be a member of the senior leadership team and impact the future of Rice University. The Executive Director will oversee the development of an institutional framework for equal opportunity and diversity that supports the University’s mission and strategic plan and meets the requirements of all applicable laws in these areas. S/he will ensure that the University maintains compliance with Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Executive Order 11246, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the Violence Against Women Act Re-authorization of 2012, and assists in compliance with Clery Act reporting standards and other federal and state legislation, regulations, and guidance. The Executive Director oversees and conducts timely and thorough investigations and is the official with primary responsibility for Rice’s Affirmative Action Plan (AAP).
The ideal candidate will be: an effective leader, with a passion for equity, inclusion and a diverse workforce; excellent interpersonal and communication skills; and, a person who integrates strategy and tactics to deliver results.
You can find more information about this opportunity and Rice University here: EEO Director Job SpecificationEducation Required Bachelor's Degree Major/Discipline Substitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred
JD or a master’s degree or higher is strongly preferred.Experience Required 7 years Type of Experience
Related experience in progressively advanced roles.Substitution for Experience Requirement
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
Experience working in an academic environment is desired.
Candidates from other sectors should have experience in organizations with similar cultures and values found in universities such as, collective decision-making in a decentralized environment, transparency, and comfort with ambiguity.License/Certification Required License/Certification Preferred Skills Required
CRITICAL LEADER CAPABILITIES
- Building a Diverse Workforce: The Executive Director will believe in the centrality of a diverse faculty and staff in achieving Rice’s ambitious agenda and use to great advantage the cosmopolitan City of Houston with no ethnic or racial majority
- Collaborating and Influencing: A person who develops relationships easily and sees that as an essential way of working; employees expect the Executive Director to be visible, accessible, and approachable; in other words, someone who builds lots of trusted relationships
- Problem Solving: The role requires proactively heading off or resolving problems before they escalate; when problems reach the formal stage, investigations are conducted in a timely and thorough manner
- Develops Programs that Deliver Results: Develop and implement programming related to diversity, inclusion and equity, and measure their outcomes
- A professional who embodies the core values of Rice – responsibility, integrity, community and excellence
- Demonstrates and supports a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Influences others to do the right thing and is not heavy handed or bureaucratic
Must have a strong working knowledge of all applicable laws, regulations, executive orders, etc., as they pertain to this role, including Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act, Executive Order 11246, Title IX, the Violence Against Women Act, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.Skills Preferred
- Demonstrated ability as an effective leader, with a passion for equity, inclusion and a diverse workforce
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to integrate strategy and tactics to deliver results
Internal contact with university administrators, faculty, staff, and students.Physical Demands
Ability to travel across campus and to sit for extended period of time for desk and computer work.Working Conditions
Hours beyond the typical 40 hour work week will be required from time to time to complete necessary work responsibilities.Security Sensitive Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Inquiries, nominations, and applications are invited. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. For fullest consideration, applicant materials should be received by March 15, 2019. Candidates should provide a professional resume and a letter of interest that addresses the responsibilities and requirements described in this position and candidate specification. These materials and a completed application are submitted via the RICEWorks jobs portal and will be held in confidence.
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.rice.edu/postings/18264 Job Duties Job Duty Name Essential Functions Description of Job Duty
- Develops and oversees University policies, processes, and procedures for Title IX, equal opportunity, accessibility, and affirmative action compliance
- Serves as Rice’s Title IX Coordinator and Equal Employment and Opportunity Compliance Officer
- Partners with senior administration to ensure that equal opportunity and Title IX principles are consistent with the university’s strategic plans and initiatives
- Oversees the identification, development, implementation and communication of resources and training programs for all university administrators, faculty, staff and students on university policies and procedures related to AA/EEO
- Partners with hiring managers to assess recruitment initiatives to ensure practices are in compliance with the affirmative action plan and EEO programs
- Serves as a resource to faculty and staff search committees
- Cultivates a climate of civility, respect, and ethical behavior through training programs and educational initiatives to the University community
- Works with Human Resources, academic affairs officials, the Disability Resource Center, and the Office of General Counsel to develop programs that support issues of institutional diversity, campus climate for women, minorities, and persons with disabilities
- Primarily responsible for the development of the Affirmative Action Plan and programs required by law
- Collaborates with Human Resources and Academic Affairs offices to develop recruitment plans and oversee recruitment plan activities
- Investigates and resolves complaints based on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, age, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, and veteran status to ensure timely and effective action
- Develops metrics for measuring the effectiveness of University equal opportunity, accessibility, equity, and diversity initiatives
- Reviews university policies, procedures and practices with regard to AA/EEO, non-discrimination and harassment Recommends necessary changes
- Oversees periodic internal audits of university practices to ensure compliance with federal, state and local legislation
- Cover Letter
- Other Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Do you have seven years of related experience in progressively advanced roles?