University Editor and Director/Associate Director of Publications
The University Editor & Director/Associate plays a key role in shaping and maintaining University messages and the institution’s overall image. The successful candidate will oversee development, scheduling and production of Clarkson University publications and support shared content provided to Web sites, and will participate in the development of public speaking presentations and special events for internal use and external audiences. The position is responsible for preparation and/or supervision of freelancers text that will shape the editorial emphasis of publications for internal or external use consistent with the University’s long-range plan and brand standards. The director will collaborate extensively with his/her supervisor, other directors in the Division of Marketing & External Relations, and senior administrators from across the University. This position can be filled in Potsdam or Schenectady New York. Title and salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Research material; interview alumni, faculty, students or staff; write and edit text; and oversee activities for published (print and electronic) materials and messages in order to ensure consistency with University’s brand standards.
- Provide key writing and editing support for mass communications for offices across campus, including critical speeches and letters.
- Prepare Clarkson-related text for use in publications produced externally.
- In consultation with VP, maintain budgetary responsibility for key publications.
- Supervise scheduling and coordination of complete publications process, including appropriate client meetings (determination of audience, message, format, costs and schedules and deadlines for editing, design and printing).
- Supervise or provide writing, editorial and design support for special University events such as commencement, capital campaigns, and inaugurations.
- Determine and maintain University’s editorial style guidelines for publications and Web usages.
- Select, supervise and coordinate use of outside writers, freelance designers, or editors and negotiate charges with each.
- Respond to correspondence from alumni and supporters regarding editorial content.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein as requested.
- Strong command of the English language and appropriate grammar
- Adaptable style & tone for various audiences
- Work under deadline driven environment
- Ability to estimate resource requirements and anticipated project costs
- Proven track record of leading complex projects from concept to completion
- Experience staying current in technology and branding trends
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrators
- Ability to work with others and communicating to them about what they need as well as what they want
- High Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Some Publisher
- High Knowledge of Content Management System Capacities
- Supervisory skills
Experience, and Skills
Bachelor’s degree with degrees in English, journalism, marketing, public relations, or related field required.
Three to ten years of related experience. Some nights and weekends to engage with constituents at key events.Preferred Qualifications:
Experience, and Skills
Five or more years of professional writing experience preferred. Additional requirements: excellent writing, editing and research skills; excellent project and collaborative management skills; intellectual creativity; ability to handle multiple projects at one time; self-motivation; good communication skills; an ability to work with diverse constituencies. Ten years of related experience.Physical Demands
Employee must be able to lift up to 40 pounds. Employee must be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time, walk, sit, bend and stoop. The physical demands characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Clarkson is committed to complying with the guidelines set forth under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Clarkson University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
All offers of employment are subject to the applicant successfully passing a background check (including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, and criminal records).Reference Request Details Maximum Number of Reference Requests 3 Minimum Number of Reference Requests 2 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Academic Keys
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Clarkson Website
- Massena-Potsdam Courier Observer
- Hispanic Outlook
- IM Diversity
- Insight Into Diversity
- New York Job Bank
- North Country This Week
- St. Lawrence Plaindealer
- Veterans Administration
- Watertown Daily Times
- Ogdensburg Journal
- Employee Referral
- Alumni Referral
- Conference Referral
- Discipline specific journals
- Discipline specific website
- Times Union
- I do not wish to answer
- If you chose other, what advertising source helped you find this great employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is the highest level of completed education that you currently hold?
- Highschool Diploma/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- ABD (all but disertation)
- * How do you embrace Diversity?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter