Posting DetailsI. JOB OVERVIEW Job Description Summary:
Under the direction of the Executive Vice President and Treasurer, Facilities Services manages and maintains GW’s property and grounds on all three college campuses including the Foggy Bottom, Mount Vernon, and Virginia Science and Technology campuses. The mission of the Division of Operations is to enhance our campus communities by providing quality operational services that support GW’s academic mission.
This position typically performs semi-skilled work of a routine nature in the maintenance of university grounds. The core responsibilities of this role are to utilize appropriate garden tools and equipment such as rakes, clippers, mowers, and mechanical sweepers, etc. to rake, clean grounds, parking lots, and garages on campus, to plant, transplant, trim and water vegetation, and to mow lawns and shovel and remove snow.
The GW Grounds Team is committed to landscape sustainability, providing a high level of landscape maintenance service for all exterior parts of the campus. Team members often work independently but also in groups. A typical day on the job may include a morning schedule of debris removal, a mid-day landscape project, and an afternoon property inspection.
This position is a part of the Service Employees International Union, Local 32BJ (SEIU).
Additional responsibilities of the Groundsperson role include:
• Abiding by all safety procedures and processes outlined by the Grounds Department.
• Participate in all aspects of grounds maintenance at the George Washington University campus.
• Hands-on tasks include planting, pruning, watering, hauling brush, weeding, raking, trash and recycling pick up, applying mulch and soil amendments, and other physical work.
• Operation of power equipment such as battery and gas-powered blowers, trimmers, and electric carts. Use of garden tools such as shovels, hoses, pruning shears, knives, and wheelbarrows.
• Pathway and road maintenance to include snow shoveling in the winter months and leaf removal.
• Engaging in associated training, discussions, and off-site workshops.
• Regular property inspections of the designated work area.
• Interact with students, staff, and visitors to convey GW’s mission both on and off the property.
|Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED, or, a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications:
Ability to physically perform the job duties, including walking, climbing stairs, balancing, stooping, kneeling, lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling of equipment.
Valid driver’s licensePreferred Qualifications:
- Knowledge of the following areas (not limited to): plant taxonomy, landscape maintenance, landscape design and contracting specialized equipment, irrigation systems, and/or materials management.
- Knowledge of regionally specific plants, native communities, and principals of landscape sustainability.
- Experience with tools, methods, and materials in an all-organic grounds maintenance program.
- Ability to be a self-starter and work in a team environment.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some weekends and evenings.
- Ability to read and comprehend written instructions, work requests, and blueprints.
- Possess basic computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite) and the ability to adapt to new technology.
- Possess integrity, excellent customer service and time management skills, and adheres to campus policies and
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S008087 Job Open Date: 03/11/2019 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter