Avian Field Technician
Position InformationPosition Information Present Position Number T0255W Role Code Title Laboratory & Research Tech Position Title Avian Field Technician Position Summary
Field technicians collect data for various bird research projects conducted at CCB.Required Qualifications
- Secondary level coursework in biology or related field of study required;- Experience identifying bird species by sight and sound. Preferred Qualifications
- Bird handling experience preferred.- Undergraduate degree in Biology or related field preferred. Advertised Pay Range Up to $13 an hour, commensurate with experience Department CCB Grants & Contracts - 359220 Location William & Mary University Salary Range
U04 Job Open Date 03/08/2019 Review Begin Date Job Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Employment Category Hourly Position Term Other (Specify Below) Special Application Instructions
In addition to the required resume and cover letter, a list of three (3) references is also required. Please attach the references as the “other doc” option.Conditions of Employment:
• This is a non-exempt position, eligible to receive overtime for hours worked beyond 40 in a work week. This position may be subject to overtime during high peak times, etc.
• This position requires driving or riding in cars and boats to field sites.
• The ability to work outdoors daily, and at times, under rigorous conditions
• The ability to perform physically strenuous duties
• The ability to lift/carry 50 pounds
• The ability to occasionally work some weekends, holidays, and irregular hours (depending upon wildlife and weather)
• A valid driver’s license, as well as a satisfactory driving record
• This position is a temporary (hourly) position not to exceed 6 months. All hourly employees are subject to the limitations of the Virginia Manpower Control Program and total hours worked may not exceed on average 29 hours per week, over the course of a twelve month period beginning May 1 each year.
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement
The College of William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Supplemental Question
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you able and willing to spend long days in the field, often walking several miles along the beach, and spending many hours observing birds through spotting scopes?
- * Are you familiar with Red Knots and other shorebirds of the east and have extensive bird handling experience and experience resighting shorebirds or passerines?
- * Are you experienced working in coastal ecosystems?
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Other Doc
- Other 2
- Other 3