Requisition Number STA - 201000000723
Job Title Budget Analyst
The University of North Texas at Dallas invites applications for the position of Budget Analyst .
The University - the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city - seeks an individual who will help shape the character of a 21st century, teaching-focused university. Candidates should be able to express enthusiastic support for the mission of the university to transform the lives of students, families and communities by providing high-quality, student-focused education in preparation for tomorrow's careers, and its vision to create the place of choice where students are inspired to learn, faculty are inspired to teach and the community is inspired to support. For more information about the university, go to: http://untdallas.edu/.
This position is an advanced specialized work in the Budget Office. An employee in this class provides technical assistance in the development, monitoring, and adjustment of University budgets. Work involves the collection, organization, and evaluation of information and the compilation of external and internal reports and analyses. This position is responsible for setting up and maintaining controls and records of financial transactions. Duties and tasks are frequently non-routine. Resolves most questions, including some where only limited standardization exists. Refers only the most complex issues to higher levels. Work is performed under general supervision of the Budget Director.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of the annual operating budget, Legislative Budget Requests, Quarterly Budget reports, and various other external documents.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of budget analyses and varied periodic and special reports used for internal control and decision-making.
- Reviews budget transfers and inputs transactions.
- Reviews and inputs data from budgeted position request forms.
- Assists departments in the interpretation of budget information and in resolving errors.
- Assists in identifying incorrect revenue and/or expense entries and works with accounting staff to correct.
- Assists in and/or the training of accessing and understanding budget reports.
- Prepares or assists with budget entries with specific monthly due dates.
- Assists with new process development.
- Works closely with accounting department and may perform accounting duties as assigned.
- Observes safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's degree in business or accounting or related field and three years of experience working with budget related information; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of (or ability to rapidly assimilate and retain) University operating procedures, organization and policies.
- Thorough knowledge of business principles, practices and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of electronic information systems and accounting systems.
- Ability to work accurately with numerical detail consistently and to perform financial operations legibly.
- Experience managing budget information and accurately recording financial transactions.
- Ability to keep complex records; to assemble and organize data of complex nature, and to prepare and submit reports in acceptable formats.
- Ability to read and analyze fiscal management information and to assist in formulating solutions to problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Strong communications skills.
- Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
- Experience using PeopleSoft and Hyperion query and reporting
- Experience working in higher education and/or Texas state agency
- Familiar with budgeting process and Legislative Appropriation Requests
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work is primarily sedentary. Sits comfortably to do the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or lifting items weighing up to 15 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? No
Substitution of Experience/Education Yes
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume and a cover letter with their online application.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your highest level of completed education?
- High School/GED
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Ph D
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of position?
- Cover Letter