Geography/GIS Instructor (Fresno City College)
Geography/GIS Instructor (Fresno City College)
State Center Community College District
Closing Date: 4/5/2019 at 11:55 PM
Campus Location: Fresno City College
Start Date: 08/08/2019
The ideal candidate will share Fresno City College's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. As of Spring 2018, we currently enroll approximately 24,000 students in which 58% are Latinx, 9% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 6% are Black/African American, 19% are White, 1% American Indian/Alaska Native, and 8% are multiracial. Fresno City College is a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum responsive to the students it serves.
Providing instruction in Geography on the Fresno City College campus and/or at off-site community campus locations, the instructor will be responsible for:
- Teaching GIS courses and courses in land formation, weather and climate, world regional geography and cultural geography as needed;
- Communicating effectively with students and staff;
- Serving on and attending department, college, and district committees as needed;
- Participating in program review, student learning outcome development and assessment to improve student learning;
- Assisting and advising the department chair in course scheduling;
- Teaching assignments in a variety of instructional settings and times, including evening and/or weekends, on-line or off-campus and large group instruction classes as needed; and
- Otherwise fulfilling all of the duties and responsibilities of instructors as required by Administrative Regulation 7122.
- Master’s in geography;
- Bachelor’s in geography AND master’s in geology, history, meteorology or oceanography;
- Master’s in the interdisciplinary area;
- A valid California Community College Credential;
- The equivalent education and/or experience (requires an equivalency).
- Classroom and laboratory teaching experience, including the breadth of courses taught, the use of a variety of pedagogies and integrating educational technologies into classroom and laboratory instruction;
- Education and work related experience;
- Experience teaching GIS systems and ArcView, physical geography, weather and climate, cultural or regional geography and environmental sciences;
- The extent of administration of course budgets, including the selection, purchase, installation and maintenance of computer hardware and software as well as other lab equipment and supplies for the geography courses;
- Experience assisting in the administration of the department budget and scheduling;
- Demonstrated ability to write and administer grants pertaining to geography;
- Diversity of educational experiences, including working with students from diverse cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds including disabled students;
- Recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native American, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusion of these groups in higher education shape patterns of participation and outcomes;
- Willingness to examine and remediate one’s instructional, relational, and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support racially minoritized students;
- Experience and skill with addressing issues of equity in the classroom;
- Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth; and
- Knowledge of the community college and its mission and goals.
Conditions of Employment:
177 duty days per year.
Salary and Benefits:
Starting salary is $55,650 - $83,782 based on education and experience. A doctoral stipend of $2,082 is available. In addition, the District offers an attractive fringe benefit package including medical, dental, and vision coverage for the employee and dependents, and life insurance. Employees are also members of the California State Teacher’s Retirement System (CalSTRS).
Applications will be screened by Human Resources for completeness and to determine which applicants meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement. From the applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and who have submitted all the required documents by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement, a selection committee will review the candidates who are best qualified based on the minimum and desirable qualifications then determine who will be invited to interview. The selection committee will rate responses to the interview questions, teaching demonstration, and writing prompt (if applicable). Based on this rating, a small number of applicants will be selected as the “recommended candidates”. These candidates will be forwarded to the Vice President of Instruction and College President. A hiring recommendation will be made by the College President and forwarded to the Board of Trustees of State Center Community College District for final approval. State Center Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. It is our pledge to treat all applicants fairly and equitably in the recruitment and selection process. We endeavor to be a service-minded organization and respond to the needs of our applicants. For more information, contact the Academic Human Resources Office, 1525 E. Weldon Avenue, Fresno, California, 93704, (559) 243-7100. For information on Fresno City College or State Center Community College District, visit our website at www.scccd.edu. Please refer to Position No. 2957. Submission of application and related materials is the applicant’s responsibility and must be submitted through the district’s online applicant portal. The District reserves the right to re-advertise or to delay indefinitely the filling of a position if it is deemed that the applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available. All application materials are subject to verification. False statements may be cause for disqualification or discharge from employment.
This is a full-time, tenure-track position.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: www.scccd.edu
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency