Data Programmer & Analyst
DescriptionThe CU Office of Advancement manages and coordinates administrative functions to support the campus-based fundraising field staff. These functions include communications, database management, estate gift planning, gift processing, marketing, research and other services. These centralized services place the institution in an optimal position to attract substantial support from the philanthropic sector.
The Data Programmer & Analyst in the Advancement Technology Design team will work under the general direction of the Director of Technical Architecture in the development, delivery and support of major technical goals and toolsets that enable the business of Advancement at the University of Colorado.
This role will work collaboratively across functional areas and as part of project teams as a subject matter expert on subjects including, but not limited to:
- Streamlining and/or automating repeatable processes
- Extending existing toolset functionality
- Ensuring business toolset continuity
- Integrating with partner toolsets
- Creating new toolsets
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Review, develop, design, test, implement, and maintain complex applications and new reports (or modifications of existing reports) for end-user production from within the Ellucian Advance alumni/donor database system, Business Intelligence, supporting infrastructure, and toolsets, as well as other applications in support of the University of Colorado’s Advancement organization.
- Perform analyses of all areas of the advancement information systems (Advance, Cognos, and others)to determine best path forward for programming
- Recommend improvements in departmental business processes, methodologies and operations to affect operational efficiencies through the use of the data system(s).
- Participate in the ongoing definition and execution of the University of Colorado Advancement’s technology roadmap in accordance with the strategic plans of the Advancement Operations team and University Advancement as a whole.
- Estimate effort and impact of proposed action plans and requests with discreet task lists inclusive of downstream impacts to partner tools and organizations.
- Assess risks in projects and work requests and develop recommendations for mitigation.
- Ensure that documentation and work instructions on solutions and services provided are available to personnel using those services
- Recommend candidate specifications for product enhancements, bug fixes, and modifications.
- Collaborate with fellow programmers and analysts in accordance with departmental priorities in an environment of high change.
- Provide timely reporting on status, risks, accomplishments, and decision points to project and organizational stakeholders.
- Assist with support of the core suite of technology (i.e., troubleshooting, updates, etc.) – Ellucian Advance and related tools.
- Monitor and participate in relevant listservs (Ellucian and others), training opportunities, user groups, publications, and professional groups to maintain a strong knowledge of trends in the fields of advancement, database and systems management and administration.
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of IT practices
- Knowledge of reporting and data analysis
- Ability and skill to analyse data and determine trends and errors
- Ability to identify inefficiency and recommend solutions
- Ability to manage task initiatives to ensure deliverables are on time
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and manage frequent requests from all levels of users each having their own timelines and constraints
- Excellent judgement and decision-making abilities
- Ability to interpret and evaluate user requirements and produce and analyze data
- Skilled in technology development, design, testing, implementation, and maintenance
- Effective written and oral communication skills and interpersonal/customer-relations skills
- Effective presentation skills to clearly articulate technical and business process-related concepts to groups and individuals with varying ranges of technical literacy.
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent professional experience in system and database management, programming and data/reporting analysis experience. (The educational requirement may be substituted with professional experience on a year for year basis).
- Two (2) years of experience in database management, programming , and/or data integration, which must include:
- Experience implementing and supporting enterprise systems and solutions
- Database programming and design in Oracle (SQL and PLSQL)
- Leading IT and development projects from conception through delivery, including oversight of documentation, project communications, vendor interactions and testing
- Experience with Ellucian Advance, BlackBaud, or similar donor/alumni relations database
- Experience with other development languages/environments, such as:
- Business Intelligence (Cognos, Tableau, etc)
- Integration Toolset(s) (Oracle OSB, Oracle ODI, or similar)
- Salesforce (Admin, Apex, Etc.)
- Experience with Shell Scripting (PowerShell, bash, KSH)
- Experience working with distributed code control toolsets (e.g. git, bitbucket, VSS, etc)
- Experience working in a university environment
- Experience working in a fundraising environment
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Feb 13, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing