University of Colorado – School of Medicine
Asst Professor - Clinical Pathologist / Clinical Scientist
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campusis a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We awardnearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professionaldegrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academicreputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. Theuniversity receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In additionto the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CUAnschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduatedegree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heartof downtown Denver—one of America’s most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver islocated steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo Districtaffording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic,professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CUAnschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Coloradoand the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it isone of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world.With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforceof the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in oneplace. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allowsknowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient’sbedside. ReadCU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranksamong the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research.Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessionaleducation, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine,Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library;and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are abiosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CUAnschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and fivefirst-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside facultymembers who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expertclinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for researchand innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards eachyear and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since2002.
Nature of Work:
This permanent full-time position in the University ofColorado, School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, based at the UCHClinical Laboratory, is designed to be a clinical pathology practiceopportunity for a junior academic clinical pathologist or clinical scientistwith expertise in chemistry, toxicology, or both.
- Facilitate clinical care, administrative management,teaching and research missions of the UCH Clinical Laboratory andthe Department of Pathology.
- Develop robust clinical tests using theclinical laboratories mass spectrometer(s).
- Routinely interpret serum proteinelectrophoresis tests, assays for hemoglobin variants, and other clinicallaboratory tests. As part of this clinical effort, the candidate should expectto work closely with UCH physicians, Clinical Pathology faculty,laboratory staff, and trainees.
- Clinical laboratory responsibilities within the scope ofthe candidates’ skills are required at UCHealth sites (e.g. free-standingemergency departments and non-teaching community hospitals).
- Participate in the development of labutilization tools, data analysis and utilization management in the UCH Clinicallaboratory. This role will include the performance of directed projects toassess and optimize test use across multiple clinical specialties andlocations.
- Using the clinical and laboratory informationsystems to analyze and automate pathologist/scientist workflow processes tomake professional time more effective. This includes pre-analytic, analytic andpost-analytic variables that reduce pathologist efficiency, quality, cost,compliance, and workplace satisfaction.
Requirements for clinical pathologist:
- Medicaldegree (M.D. or D.O.)
- Completionof CP or AP/CP Residency in Pathology with board certification in CP or AP/CPby the American Board of Pathology.
- Qualifyfor a full unrestricted license to practice pathology in the State of Colorado.
- Candidatemust apply for privileges/credentialing at the University of Colorado Hospitaland with CU Medicine.
Requirements for clinical scientist:
- Graduatedegree (Ph.D.)
- Completionof COMACC accredited fellowship with board certification in chemistry,toxicology, or both by the American Board of Clinical Chemistry.
Salaryis commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers afull benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, includingeligibility, is located at Employee Services.
TheUniversity of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secureenvironment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist inachieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospectiveemployees.
TheUniversity of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. Weencourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilitiesand all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity andequality in education and employment.
TheImmigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employmenteligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day ofwork. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for personswith disabilities.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Jun 7, 2018
Unposting Date: Ongoing