Assistant/Associate Professor, 9 Month Salaried in Mechanics and Materials (Department of Mecha...
Job Title: Assistant/Associate Professor, 9 Month Salaried in Mechanics and Materials (Department of Mechanical Engineering)
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 44926
Department The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) - Florida State University (FSU) (FAMU-FSU) College of Engineering is pleased to invite applications for a tenure-track position at the Assistant or Associate Professor level in Tallahassee, Florida, in the combined focus areas:
* Advanced materials research focused on friction, lubrication, and wear
* Fundamental and practical applications of solid lubricants for extreme environments and aerospace applications
* In situ techniques that probe chemo-physical nature of interfaces
* Characterization of mechanical and tribological properties of hard and soft biological tissues
The ME Department currently has approximately 28 faculty, 85 graduate students, 361 undergraduate students and annual expenditures in excess of $6.5 million. The successful candidate will find outstanding research facilities including low and high-speed wind tunnels, multifunctional materials testing facilities, and high-performance computational resources. They will find a collaborative and collegial work environment and a strong dedication to diversity and excellence in research and education. Potential applicants seeking more information are encouraged to visit our website at https://www.eng.famu.fsu.edu/me and https://ame.fsu.edu/.Responsibilities Successful candidates are expected to develop research programs that are internationally-recognized with significant and sustained funding, to incorporate interdisciplinary collaboration with researchers across campus, and to demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence in education. The faculty member will teach undergraduate and graduate courses and will supervise undergraduate, graduate and post-doctoral researchers.Qualifications Candidates applying for the faculty position must possess an earned Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related discipline. Applicants for an Assistant Professor position must demonstrate ability to create and sustain internationally recognized research programs in their fields of expertise and strong interest in engineering education. Applicants for an Associate Professor position must have demonstrated significant independent research and leadership achievements, and also have a strong interest in engineering education.Other Information Applications will be reviewed beginning March 15, 2019. Acceptance and review of applications will continue until the position is filled.Helpful Applicant should upload:
1. A cover letter
2. A full curriculum vitae
3. A 2-page research statement
4. A 1-page teaching statement
5. No more than four selected publications for review
6. The names and contact information of four potential referencesContact Info Any questions about the position should be directed to Prof. William S. Oates at [email protected] Information The FAMU-FSU College of Engineering is the unique combination of two outstanding universities with overlapping but distinct missions – the nation's top Historically Black College/University with a Tier-1 research university. As such we provide an outstanding research and entrepreneurship-based education to one of the most diverse student populations in the US. Faculty are employed by one of our partner universities, but hold joint faculty privileges at both institutions.Pay Plan This is a Faculty position.Criminal Background Check This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.How To Apply If qualified and interested in a specific Faculty job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include education details even if attaching a Vita.Request Letters of Reference This position requires that you have three confidential professional letters of recommendation submitted on your behalf. Follow the steps below to request these letters through our system:
1) After submitting your application, click the Return to Job Search link;
2) Click the My References link;
3) Click the Send/View Reference Request button next to the appropriate position; and
4) Follow the steps on that page to send your references a system generated email requesting they submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
You may also return to the My References link and click on "Send/View Reference Request" to see if your references have responded, add additional references, or resend requests.Tobacco Free Campus Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.Equal Employment Opportunity An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf