Communications and Events Coordinator
Position InformationPosition Information Present Position Number 00934W Role Code Title Admin & Office Specialist III Position Title Communications and Events Coordinator Position Summary
The Communications and Events Coordinator is the first point of contact for individuals and groups wishing to engage with James Monroe’s Highland’s programs, including museum tours, and rental of facilities for events. The Communications and Events Coordinator manages the booking of these events and supports them with internal coordination. S/he has primary responsibility for facilities rental and contributes to strategic planning for this line of business.
This position provides essential internal communication, managing space needs, schedules, and communications lists. This position provides administrative support to Executive Director, and to Business Manager and Marketing & Events Manager as needed.
Reporting to the Executive Director, James Monroe’s Highland, the Communications and Events Coordinator will participate in strategic projects with administrative and other tasks.
Specific responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Serve as point of contact for individuals renting our facilities for events (such as weddings); ensure internal coordination for weddings and other events (e.g., arrange staffing and setup needs).
- Respond to requests for information about facilities (show events spaces and Museum Programs). Reserve facilities rentals and assist with booking Museum Programs and coordinate with Museum Programs schedule.
- Maintain current and accurate events schedule that is available to multiple members of staff. Respond to requests for information about Museum Programs.
- Assist with Marketing/Event planning administrative and project tasks (e.g., drafting communications. Coordinate and participate as team member in responding to requests for donations of tickets, setup of projector for presentations, update the James Monroe’s Highland web site with current information on events and programs. Interface with on-line events calendars in Charlottesville, Albemarle, and beyond). Participate in social media strategy and implementation.
- Participate in record-keeping for historic collections.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience with organizing and scheduling of events
- Experience working in an administrative role within a customer service setting.
- Experience tracking data using excel.
- Familiarity with marketing principles with the demonstrated ability to contribute to the strategic vision/plan of promoting James Monroe’s Highland.
- Strong working knowledge of general office procedures and processes, with strong administrative skills and the ability to draft communications
- Demonstrated skills in MS Office Suite, with strong proficiency in MS Word and Excel, as well as web-based applications.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, with a strong customer service orientation, and the proven ability to work effectively with all levels of management, as well as internal and external customers.
- Strong organization skills, with excellent attention to detail and accuracy in daily work. Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines while managing multiple and changing priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree in a communications, marketing or other related field.
- Experience working for a non-profit supporting multiple projects is highly preferred.
- Event planning or coordination experience for a museum is highly desirable.
- Prior experience troubleshooting office equipment issues is a plus.
- Strong working knowledge of social media and demonstrated marketing skills is desirable.
U06 Job Open Date 03/07/2019 Review Begin Date Job Close Date 03/28/2019 Open Until Filled No Employment Category Operational FT Position Term 12-Month Special Application Instructions Conditions of Employment:
- This position is non-exempt, eligible to receive over-time in accordance with Fair Labor Standards Act. This position may be subject to overtime during high peak times, etc. as directed and approved by the supervisor.
- This position is subject to weekend work due to scheduled events.
- This is a restricted position subject to availability of funding.
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement
The College of William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Supplemental Question
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you aware that this position is located in Albemarle County, Virginia, and are you prepared to work in this location, even if it requires relocation?
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Other Doc