Interim Station Manager (Wage)
Job location: Other Locations
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-03-07
This full-time temporary position (early July through October or November 2019) will provide a managerial presence at the Mountain Lake Biological Station by an individual who understands, supports, and participates in the scientific and educational activities of this remote, full-service residential research facility. The Interim Station Manager will carry out a wide range of functions that include managing station housing and dining operations; staffing and running the main office; financial oversight of local financial operations; technical, logistical, and administrative support to station users; and supervision of staff including Assistants to the Station Manager, student workers, and contract employees. Position oversees station grounds, buildings, woodworking shop, storage areas, stockrooms, library, auditorium, laboratories, other common-use space, basic equipment, and vehicles.
Mountain Lake Biological Station (MLBS) is a unit of the College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at the University of Virginia. MLBS is NOT located on the UVA campus in Charlottesville Virginia. It is a remote mountaintop field station 160 miles southwest of Charlottesville in rural Giles County Virginia, not far from Blacksburg (240 Salt Pond Road, Pembroke VA 24136). On-site free housing is provided with this position. Learn more at MLBS.org.
- Excellent office management skills, initiative, problem solving, and self-motivation
- Ability to self-start projects and to work alone for multiple days
- Ability to use Microsoft Office and other standard computer applications and systems
- Ability to manage computer files efficiently and ensure safe archiving of records
- Ability to interact and communicate positively with a large number of university faculty, researchers, students, and public associated with the station
- Ability to take responsibility for safety, security, and professional presentation of facility
- Ability to work enthusiastically and creatively as part of a small dynamic and flexible team to provide for needs of station users
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some weekends
- Comfort in the out-of-doors and with a rustic living and working environment (not all modern conveniences or amenities are available)
- Willingness to work outside in sometimes harsh weather conditions
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record
Position Compensation: $20.00 - $28.00 Hourly
This is a wage position which is not eligible for leave or other benefits and is limited to 1500 hours of work in a year. For more information, refer to the Wage Employment link: http://uvapolicy.virginia.edu/policy/HRM-029.
To apply, please submit an application online through Workday at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs and attach a current CV/Resume, Cover Letter and the Contact information for 3 references. Search on requisition number: R0002603.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will require a DMV check.
Questions related to the application process may be directed to Brandi Shifflett, HR Specialist at (434) 243-4095 or [email protected]
PREFERRED OR USEFUL SKILLS
- A bachelor's degree in Biology or a related field with knowledge of field-based research and teaching
- Ability to use Microsoft Access
- Experience at a field station, research facility, or in experiential education environment
- Experience supervising staff, and managing an office, laboratory, or other facility
- Experience overseeing dining and/or housing operations
- First aid, EMT, CPR, or other medical or emergency training
- Knowledge of various technical, mechanical, and administrative functions pertinent to supporting scientific academic activities, including basic laboratory skills, record keeping, computer competency, skills and safety knowledge related to biological fieldwork, vehicle safety and maintenance, and woodworking shop skills
- Understanding of terrestrial field biology
- Basic outdoor or field-based manual labor skills and competency
- Familiarity with business etiquette and communication skills