Dean, Poole College of Management
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy Type SAAO Tier I Is Internal Transfer Only No Working Title Dean, Poole College of Management Salary Range Anticipated Hiring Range Salary is commensurate with experience Position Number 00007360 Work Schedule M-F, 8 - 5 with additional hours as required Full Time Equivalent (FTE) 1.00 Department 200101 - Dean's Office-college Of Manag Department Dean's Office - Poole College of Management Job City & State Raleigh, NC Primary Function of Organizational Unit
Poole College of Management is a community that celebrates excellence, innovation, inclusion, ethical decision-making – and addresses the challenges of our world by harnessing varied skills, talents, strengths and experiences.
The mission of Poole College is to actively engage with industry and academia to create an innovative and collaborative intellectual environment that fosters learning, scholarship and service. We focus on developing and supporting leaders with an entrepreneurial mindset and analytical problem-solving capabilities to positively impact our data-rich, dynamic, global economy.
Poole College is home to about 85 full-time professional staff and nearly 100 full-time faculty in the Departments of Accounting, Business Management, Management, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and Economics. The faculty are engaged in purposeful research that generates knowledge and drives economic development, and they teach nearly 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students in a variety of degree programs.
Poole College offers bachelor’s degrees in accounting, business administration and economics; master’s degrees in accounting, business administration, economics and management; and a doctoral degree in economics. Students have access to 15+ concentrations across academic programs, ranging from finance and supply chain management to entrepreneurship and global luxury management, as well as undergraduate honors programs in business analytics and economics.
Poole College has created strong, mutually beneficial corporate relationships advancing faculty scholarship and experiential learning for students. Strengthening that industry engagement are six centers and initiatives fostering research, learning and corporate engagement: Business Sustainability Collaborative, Center for Innovation Management Studies, Enterprise Risk Management Initiative, Entrepreneurship Clinic, Entrepreneurship Collaborative, and Supply Chain Resource Cooperative. Poole College also offers executive education through online and face-to-face leadership and continuing education solutions designed for professional organizations.
Poole College of Management was founded in 1992 as NC State’s first College of Management. The College is fully accredited by the AACSB. The strength and relevance of the College’s programs have led to three landmark gifts: Jenkins Graduate School of Management 2007 (Benjamin P. Jenkins III); Poole College of Management 2010 (Lonnie C. Poole Jr.); Zelnak Dean’s Chair 2014 (Stephen P. Zelnak Jr.). The College celebrated its 25th anniversary in 2017.
Poole College’s innovative approaches and programs have drawn recognition from the global academic community and industry partners. In 2018, U.S. News & World Report ranked the College’s undergraduate business program among the top 100 in the country. In addition, NC State ranks No. 11 nationwide for undergraduate entrepreneurship. Poole College boasts a No. 1 ranking by Financial Times in program delivery and online interaction among online MBA programs; and offers a top-10 online MBA program for veterans. The Master in Accounting and Master of Economics programs also rank among the nation’s best. With award-winning programs and the country’s top faculty and students, the College has formed a solid foundation for success and looks forward to a bright future as a higher education leader.Essential Job Duties
NC State seeks nominations and applications for the position of the Stephen P. Zelnak Dean of the Poole College of Management. The successful candidate will demonstrate exemplary strategic leadership ability, outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, entrepreneurial drive and high energy, and a passion for the strategic vision of the College and university. This is an outstanding opportunity for a dynamic and forward-thinking leader to expand upon the College’s strong foundation of business innovation and success.
The Dean of the Poole College of Management is responsible for the following:
• Leading the development of a long-term vision prioritizing distinction and innovation;
• Managing the College’s operations and fiscal and physical resources effectively and strategically, including a $39M operating budget;
• Fostering a high-quality student experience, including through the development of innovative academic programs aligned with market needs;
• Creating educational and professional development opportunities to equip students with new skills required for success in future roles;
• Supporting faculty, staff and students in their academic and professional development, along with supporting their research and creative efforts;
• Establishing and nurturing interdisciplinary connections to address complex issues through academic, industry and community engagement;
• Managing and influencing change as it relates to the College’s academic offerings, relationship to partners and growing influence both locally and globally;
• Strengthening ties with alumni and the business community, in part to ensure the College continues to generate new knowledge and relevant curricula;
• Enhancing NC State’s partnerships with companies and institutions in the Research Triangle and around the world, supported by an exceptionally engaged Board of Advisors;
• Securing resources through fundraising efforts engaging a variety of stakeholders, including alumni and business partners;
• Increasing the visibility and reputation of the College, in part by working effectively with alumni and other benefactors; and,
• Supervising 14 direct reports.
Candidates should have a distinguished record of accomplishments. For candidates from the academy, the focus will be on research, teaching, and service. Experience outside academia will be valued. The successful candidate should possess a strong record of professional accomplishment, relevant administrative experience, and a high level of recognition in the academic and industrial communities.Departmental Required Skills
The successful candidate will possess most, if not all, of the following qualities or experience:
• Experience as a strategic, innovative and collaborative leader with a record of success in change management and bringing constituencies together around a common goal;
• Capacity and drive to thoughtfully assess a complex landscape of programs and centers, identify unknowns, and arrive at a deep understanding of institutional resources and culture;
• Aptitude to conceptualize long term change and to move an organization forward;
• Ability to build strong management teams and execute large plans with fiscal responsibility;
• Outstanding interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills;
• Ability to play a key role in university leadership, advocating for the College, and forging advantageous and strategic connections across colleges;
• A clear commitment to excellence in research, teaching and undergraduate and graduate business education;
• A commitment to educating students who enter the university through diverse pathways, fostering a healthy and respectful community, and recruiting and supporting a diverse faculty, staff, and administration;
• A record of responding effectively to the rapidly changing demands on business schools and higher education in general, including the demonstrated ability to develop new and relevant programming;
• Comfort working within a system of faculty governance;
• Demonstrated ability to engage business executives in the work of the College and to connect faculty and students with opportunities;
• An appetite for fundraising and the ability to contribute to and lead development efforts;
• Ability to balance and execute internal and external responsibilities;
• An understanding of the AACSB accreditation process; and,
• A doctorate in a related discipline is strongly preferred along with credentials and achievements in academia or business that merit appointment as a tenured full professor at the Poole College of Management.
Inquiries, nominations, and applications are invited and may be directed to Justin Lang, Director, NC State Executive Search Services, at (919) 513-1963 or [email protected]. Confidential review of applications will begin on February 15, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled.
Candidates should provide a resume or curriculum vitae, cover letter, and the names and contact information of three references. References will not be contacted without prior knowledge and approval of candidates. These materials may be submitted online at https://jobs.ncsu.edu/ (position # 00007360).Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
N/ARequired License or Certification
Inquiries, nominations, and applications are invited and may be directed to Justin Lang, Director, NC State Executive Search Services, at (919) 513-1963 or [email protected]Job Open Date 01/31/2019 Anticipated Closing Date Confidential review of applications will begin on February 15, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled. Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies? No Proposed Hire Date AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org. Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you selected "Other" for the previous question, please provide the source you learned about this opportunity from.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact Information for References