Assistant To Dean (45)
Request/Posting Number 0711720
Classification Title Assistant To Dean (45)
Working Title Director of Communications and Community Relations
Job Class # 163320
Type of Position Administrative Professional
Percent Appointment: 1-100 (For Student Employment and Graduate Assistant Only; state hours per week) 100% (12 month continuous position)
Department Milner Library - 08900000
Job Category Staff
General Summary Milner Library constantly communicates, interacts, and collaborates with external constituents concerning new services, programs, exhibits, and activities. This position is responsible for the strategic and logistical components of library communication, programming, and outreach to the extended University community. It works in partnership with library administration, faculty, and staff to reach out and inform constituents and to enhance the Library's ability to respond to constituent expectations. The person in this position will assist with library donor development below the major gift threshold.
Works closely with administrators, librarians, and staff on development and implementation of public communications, programs, exhibits, donor development, and other activities. Collaborates with librarians and staff on efforts to reach out to campus groups whose needs may not be addressed through regular channels. Assists the Library with internal communications, and coordinates Milner's social media.
Required Qualifications 1. Bachelor's degree
2. Three years of experience in university communications, alumni relations, event planning, and/or advancement
3. Ability to think and work strategically about communication as a way to advance university library priorities
4. Ability to coordinate the details and logistics associated with planning and implementing events
5. Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
6. Ability to work collaboratively in a strongly collegial and participative environment
7. Familiar with necessary computer programs including but not limited to the current Office Suite, Adobe Design Suite, and social networking applications
8. Valid Driver's License
9. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, then employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Desired Qualifications: 1. Strong grasp of library cultures and ethos
2. Prior experience in public relations and working with students
3. Master's in Library Science
Necessary Licenses/Certifications/Degrees 1. Bachelor's degree
2. Valid Driver's License
Hiring Rate/Range Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Work Hours Generally Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm with occasional weekend and evening hours as business needs dictate
Proposed Starting Date: May 2019
Posting date 03-07-2019
Closing date Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants Initial application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For priority consideration apply by April 1, 2019
All application materials must be submitted online. Application materials submitted via fax, email, or mail will not be accepted.
Please prepare in advance separate documents representing a cover letter, reference list (at least three professional references and contact information), and resume/C.V. to attach to this application. If you have written any articles on behalf of an organization, please attach an examples or a link to an online copy.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity, and Access at 309-438-3383.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Contact Information Leta Janssen
Departmental Homepage http://library.illinoisstate.edu/
Required Applicant Documents PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply For This Posting". Resume/C.V.
Optional Applicant Documents Writing Sample
Certification of Retirement Annuity (required for SURS annuitants only)
Civil Service Test Not Applicable
Physical Requirements: Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1.Ability to effectively communicate on a daily basis.
2.Ability to work for extended periods at computer workstation.
3.Ability to distinguish colors on a monitor.
4.Ability to use a computer in day-to-day work (i.e. type on a keyboard and use a mouse).
5.Ability to conduct or attend meetings in various locations on and off campus.
6.Ability to maintain a high level of concentration.
7.Ability to lift up to 40lbs, to climb and stand on small step stools, and have adequate mobility to retrieve items located on tall shelves.
8. Ability to drive university vehicles.