Executive Director of Academic Advising
Executive Director of Academic Advising
About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University is a world-class institution that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by outstanding academics, facilities and community life - promotes extraordinary student success.
Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty and state-of-the-art facilities to engage and challenge its 17,000 students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first-generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration and community service.
Budget Title: Director of Academic Advisement (SL-5)
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience
Binghamton University seeks a dynamic leader to serve as the Executive Director of Academic Advising in Harpur College of Arts & Sciences. The successful candidate will be a visionary leader who will bring creative approaches and knowledge of best practices for student success, develop and promote the current strengths of the College, and collaborate with others on campus to build on our student-centered approach to advising. Harpur Advising not only serves as the primary advising office for the College, but for all undeclared, pre-health, and pre-law students. Binghamton University has a strong tradition of supporting and promoting the liberal arts. Due to the fact that liberal arts and higher education face critical challenges and transformations in the 21st century, the university has made a significant investment in staffing in Harpur Advising over the past four years and has made this search a major strategic priority.
With 9,500 of Binghamton University's 14,000 undergraduates enrolled in Harpur College, the Executive Director of Harpur College Academic Advising plays a key role in student success at Binghamton University. The Director is responsible for providing vision and leadership to approximately 20 advisors and staff, including general advising for liberal arts students, as well as pre-health and pre-law. This position reports to the Harpur College Dean's Office and is expected to provide input and leadership on shaping policy for the college and university.
The Director is responsible for the following functions:
- Lead and manage the Harpur College Academic Advising Office
- Build on and promote a collaborative, shared services approach to advising with the college (i.e., the dual advising structure with departments and programs), and with offices outside the college (e.g., the Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development and other multi-college advising offices on campus)
- Ensure advisors have the training to support Harpur students as they explore majors, navigate policies and procedures, and seek resources and opportunities to complement their coursework
- Explore and utilize technologies to enhance student success
- Provide programming to help enhance persistence and graduation rates
- Promote communication about the curriculum and policy changes to students using social media, the internet, etc.
- Ensure staffing at events such as orientation and admissions events
- Serve as a resource for faculty advisors
The Director is involved in college and university committees related to undergraduate education, including monthly meetings with the Harpur College Dean's Office, Academic Affairs Council, Undergraduate Directors, and other ad hoc committees as appropriate.
- Master's degree and 5 years of higher education advising experience
- At least three years supervisory experience in a higher education setting
- Ability to articulate a vision for academic advising for the liberal arts in the 21st century
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues and students from culturally diverse backgrounds and to foster a culture of inclusiveness
- Strong skills in change management and strategic planning
- Demonstrated ability to create a vision and gain buy-in from key stakeholders
- Familiarity with best practices in advising liberal arts students
- Demonstrated ability to apply current and emerging technology to enhance advising services
- Knowledge of transfer credit evaluation system
- Experience with data-informed decision-making
- Strong technical skills
- Superior written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check and verification of degree(s) and credentials.
Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Payroll information can be found on our website http://www.binghamton.edu/human-resources/payroll/
Cover letters may be addressed "To the Search Committee."
Postings active on the website accept applications until closure.
For information on the Dual Career Program, please visit: https://www.binghamton.edu/human-resources/dual-career-program/
As required by Title IX and its implementing regulations Binghamton University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the educational programs and activities which it operates. This requirement extends to employment and admission. Inquiries about sex discrimination may be directed to the University Title IX Coordinator or directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the University's complete Non-Discrimination Notice may be found here.
Deadline for Internal Applicants: March 21, 2019
Deadline for External Applicants: Open until filled
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the vacancy is filled.
Persons interested in this position should apply online at https://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=107907
- Cover letter, and
- Contact information for three professional references
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp
The State University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Binghamton University to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.