Director of the Science Academy
Director Position Number: 124606
Director of the Science Academy at the University of Maryland
The College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences (CMNS) at the University of Maryland, College Park, invites applications for the Director of the Science Academy. The mission of the Science Academy is to offer opportunities for lifelong learning and engagement with the College of CMNS. Initial offerings of the Science Academy will range from workshops for Professional Training to Professional Certificates and Professional Masters degrees. These will gradually expand to cover educational opportunities on the campus, especially during the summer, for K-12 students.
The Science Academy will provide leadership in curriculum development and innovation, and attract, select, and advise students. Administration of the Science Academy will also involve hiring faculty, creating and offering new courses and programs, advertising/promoting the various Science Academy offerings, interacting with all departments and institutes in the College, monitoring the budget of the Science Academy, and supervising Science Academy staff.
- Manage and lead day-to-day operations of the Science Academy. Maintain the academic integrity of all the offerings of the Science Academy. This involves attracting, admitting, and graduating qualified students, hiring competent faculty, and scheduling the necessary/ appropriate courses.
- Oversee the Marketing and Advertising of the various offerings under Science Academy. This entails various forms of advertising including an online presence, personal recruitment, including contact with major employers other stakeholders, media inquiries, attending open houses, and generally enhancing the visibility of the Science Academy.
- Identify new courses and programs with input from professionals, their employers, current students and alumni, the federal and state governments. Involve the department academic advisors and other faculty, chairs, and directors in CMNS.
- Oversee the development and enhancement of blended course resources.
- Interact with professionals and lifelong learners, in particular our students, on-campus and off-campus administrators, faculty and staff to ensure the successful engagement with our offerings.
- Monitor the Science Academy budget and expenditures.
Applications should be submitted by March 20, 2019 to receive full consideration. The search will continue until the position is filled. A cover letter, resume, and three references should be submitted through eTerp, the University’s electronic application system, at this link.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.