Manager, Financial Reporting
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-04-18
The incumbent manages one accounting supervisor, corporate-level financial accountants, and senior and staff accountants. The incumbent oversees the corporate-level financial statement preparation, reporting and analysis; audit planning, coordination and execution with internal and external audit staff; preparation of annual federal and state information returns (Forms 990 and 990T); and corporate, clinical operations and administrative budgeting. The incumbent, in collaboration with other UPG Finance managers, oversees the accounting and financial reporting of the operations of UPG and subsidiary corporations.
- Recruits, trains, manages and develops staff to form a cohesive, high-functioning financial reporting team.
- Ensures that all financial reporting and accounting is maintained in a manner which complies with UPG policies, GAAP and FASB ASC requirements and addresses the needs of management.
- Understands the complexities of UPG and can identify the risks of accounting to management.
- Assesses new regulatory requirements and provides recommendations for compliance and guidance to staff regarding changes to the accounting or accounting treatment consistent with UPG policies, GAAP and FASB ASC.
- Ensures timely and accurate reporting to management and other financial report users and works with staff to identify issues and provide recommendations for resolution.
- Plans and manages the development, implementation, and maintenance of accounting procedures, including establishing and maintaining internal controls.
- Ensures that appropriate accounting-related services are provided to other entities affiliated with UPG including subsidiaries and separate business units.
- Supports the Director of Finance in monitoring financial performance, including reviews of monthly financial statements to identify risks and concerns and provide explanations for variances provided by staff and supported by knowledge.
- Supports and oversees financial accounting team members to collaborate with UPG Management, the UVA Clinical Departments, the UVA School of Medicine (SOM) Dean’s Office and the UVA Medical Center regarding oversight of the sub-agreements and payments relative to the Medical Center Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
- Communicates with business partners to meet business needs and develops and maintains reports to be distributed to business partners to meet their reporting needs.
- Initiates and implements approved changes to UPG policies and procedures to improve the efficiency of accounting and administrative budgeting operations in providing accurate and timely financial reports.
- Provides variance explanations at month-end financial review meetings as needed.
- Ensures timely and accurate reporting to federal and other governmental agencies as required, including tax returns and surveys, and oversees and reviews related work prepared by staff.
- Serves as authorized approver and check signer for cash disbursements.
- Prepares annual operating budget for unit.
- Maintains appropriate skills in accounting and software applications by attending training sessions and using and exploring the tools available.
- Maintains competencies in accounting, management and tax through continuing education and training.
- Completes other tasks and assignments as requested by Director of Finance.
- Oversees the development, analysis, and interpretation of statistical and accounting information in order to appraise operating results, performance against budget, and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of UPG and subsidiary corporations.
- Reviews financial reporting preparation completed by staff to ensure explanations are reasonable and resolves any issues identified with the staff
- Oversees the development, implementation, and ongoing evaluation of financial and accounting systems, including the maintenance of financial reporting software.
- Oversees the overall maintenance of the general ledgers of all accounting components including the production of financial statements, reconciliation of cash activities, and preparation of accruals to meet anticipated liabilities.
- Directs the preparation of financial reports, including income statements and balance sheets, tax returns, and reports for government regulatory agencies.
- Manages aspects of corporate-level financial operations, including: coordinating Health System and corporate-level financial statement production and analysis; planning, coordination and execution of the annual independent audit with internal and external audit staff; and preparation of annual federal and state information returns (Forms 990 and 990T).
- Oversees the preparation and coordination of annual budget process, including Health System, corporate, clinical operations and administrative budgets. Manages related analysis and reporting, and communicates with management on budget-related issues.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
- Oversees periodic internal audit reviews of records as requested by the Director of Finance.
- Oversees the preparation and filing of federally mandated US Census Bureau Surveys and ensures timely and accurate reporting to federal and other governmental agencies as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or other related field.
- Seven years of work-related experience with progressively increasing responsibilities.
- Experience in managing and meeting multiple deadlines.
- Five years of experience supervising accounting staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of GAAP, IRS regulations, auditing and accounting internal controls.
- CPA designation and active license preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficiency with computerized accounting systems and general ledger software.
- Experience using microcomputers and automated information systems, especially in a Windows environment.
- Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet software required.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require walking some distance to attend meetings, and programs.The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.