Accounts Payable Technician
Job Title: Accounts Payable Technician
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 24946
Job Code: 1741 Accounting Technician II
Department: Accounts Payable
CompensationClassification: Accounting Technician II
Anticipated Salary Range: $3,525/month - $3,764/month
Salary Range: $2,759/month - $4,849/month
FLSA Status: Non - Exempt
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/up/all/benefits/
About the PositionThe Accounts Payable Technician is responsible for processing the payment of invoices and reimbursements and has the training and experience to independently perform much of the skilled work required in the Accounts Payable department. Incumbent performs diverse duties involving a wide range of procedures using initiative and judgment in analyzing information and determining a course of action within the specifications of standard practice and established guidelines of SJSU, CSU, State and/or Federal procurement policies and travel regulations. The Accounts Payable Technician acts as liaison between Accounts Payable, Purchasing, Receiving and Requisitioning departments. Incumbent communicates established policies and procedures to faculty, staff, and the general public.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Audit/analyze, prepare and approve to pay, PO and Direct Payment invoices, Employee/Student Reimbursements, Petty Cash, Travel and other Reimbursements, and International Travel Advance requests, ensuring compliance with SJSU, CSU, State and Federal policies and guidelines, as applicable.
- Access paperless support documents and invoices for payment and reimbursement requests via the On Base imaging and workflow system.
- Contact requestors (i.e. vendors, campus departments/individuals, travelers) for missing or additional support documentation or information.
- Create PO invoice and other voucher types utilizing the Accounts Payable module of the Common Financial System (CFS) - Oracle (PeopleSoft) finance system.
- Manage/review/update CFS vouchers created via the SJSU Financial Transaction Services (FTS).
- Review data-entry and other system-generated reports (i.e. matching) for accuracy and completeness of online and quick invoice vouchers; make corrections and address receiving or other match exceptions.
- Reconcile vendor statements and resolve issues related to outstanding invoice notices.
Minimum Qualifications- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities
- Equivalent to three years of progressively responsible financial record-keeping experience which has provided the above knowledge and abilities
Preferred Qualifications- Experience with Oracle (PeopleSoft) Finance System
- Experience working in an institute of higher education or governmental organization.
- Experience with tax compliance issues such as California Sales and Use Tax, California Nonresident Withholding, and Federal reporting of Miscellaneous Income.
- Experience with San Jose State University, the California State University System, and/or the State of California policies and procedures related to procurement and travel processes.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities- Knowledge of Accounts Payable functions, procurement processes, and travel and other reimbursement requests.
- Knowledge of the policies and procedures of SJSU, the CSU system, and the State of California, as they pertain to procurement processes and travel.
- Knowledge of Oracle (PeopleSoft) Finance System, working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, and Google Email (or similar email system).
- Ability to analyze, to interpret, and to implement a variety of written rules, regulations, and guidelines.
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills.
- Ability to review financial documents for accuracy, completeness, validity, and adherence to standards.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities in a timely manner; to plan, to organize, and to perform day-to-day work independently under general supervision.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of financial record-keeping methods, procedures and practices; arithmetic and general office procedures.
- Knowledge of governmental financial record-keeping methods.
Posting DateMarch 6, 2019
Application ScreeningApplication Screening begins March 25, 2019
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application MaterialResume
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Additional InformationSatisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment StatementSJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
Contact InformationOne Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046