Maintenance Mechanic HVACR
- Interpret mechanical blueprints, shop drawings, schematics, manufacturer’s, and verbal and written instructions.
- Perform all such major overhaul and repair of refrigeration and air conditioning systems and equipment deemed within the scope of a maintenance mission.
- Through the manipulation of the computerized energy management system PCs and terminals, adjust air balance and static pressures; make adjustments in temperature/humidity, alarm set points, and start/stop equipment times. Generate trend reports and use these as a system check and troubleshooting tool.
- Calculate heating and cooling loads and using the manufacturer’s equipment for the applications.
- Purchase, install and adjust various heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems such as walk-in coolers/freezers, room air conditioners, and constant temperature/humidity environment rooms.
- Service, troubleshoot, and repair unitary water-source heat pumps, their related fluid handling equipment and controls.
- Operate, service, and troubleshoot hockey arena ice making equipment, which includes both reciprocating and chiller packages of 200 HP size and its related pumps and cooling towers.
- Operate, service, and troubleshoot air conditioning air and water cooled chiller packages of its related fluid pumping, air handling equipment, and cooling towers.
- Operate, service, and troubleshoot absorption chiller package generating chilled water for air conditioning and miscellaneous equipment cooling load applications, their fluid pumping systems, and cooling towers.
- Service, troubleshoot, and repair various scientific specialty lab equipment; which requires close tolerance temperature control of environments and processes: such as ultra-low temperature cascade refrigeration systems, constant temperature rooms, and incubators.
- Service, troubleshoot, and repair laboratory building compressed air and vacuum systems to include refrigerated air dryers and air reduction stations.
- Rebuild air compressors and vacuum pumps of both oil and oil-less types and water seal rotary compressors and pumps.
- Working within EPA guidelines and standards, service, troubleshoot, repair, and refrigeration change automotive air conditioning systems on fleet vehicles.
- Maintain a proper inspection and preventative maintenance program which will ensure the dependability of HVACR equipment to include filter and belt changes, bearing lubrication and replacement, refrigeration oil testing, electrical insulation test, and the record keeping associated with such a program.
- Perform periodic analysis and treatment of water systems such as glycol levels and corrosion retarders in hydronic heating and cooling systems and the scale and biocide treatment of cooling towers, doing so within DEC guidelines and keeping proper records of test results and chemical usage.
- Participate in a program to inventory the usage of refrigerants on campus by submitting carefully gathered information pertinent to a computer program that will meet EPA standards of record keeping.
- Work closely with material and equipment supplies and manufacturer’s representatives to maintain an adequate inventory of replacement parts and materials. Work with industry suppliers and manufacturers to identify and locate suitable replacement parts or alternative methods of repair for both current and outdated HVACR equipment.
- When called upon, participate in the planning and execution of construction and renovation projects, often working with architects, engineers, and construction personnel.
- Perform air and water balance testing and adjustments and the service, calibration, and maintenance of pneumatic, electric, and DDC control systems and their related component devices.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to supporting personnel; giving educational instruction where needed to advance their ability to better support the HVACR maintenance mission.
- Provide assistance to other trades projects as directed.
- Learn new HVACR techniques as required to remain up-to-date with current and new technologies.
- Estimate cost/materials and time requirements of jobs.
- Estimating time and materials.
- Live out and make decisions in line with the Clarkson University values in all daily activities while on duty.
- Operate and work in a safe manner at all times and ensure the highest level of housekeeping.
- Provide mentoring and leadership to interns, apprentices and/or student workers
- Willingness to take courses and/or training to meet trade specific and University standards.
- Complete Clarkson Vehicle Safety Checklist before vehicle use. Be responsible for care, cleanliness, and maintenance of the assigned vehicle and report all vehicle concerns to appropriate supervisor immediately.
- Operate a Clarkson vehicle in accordance with University policy.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Deliver timely, friendly, and effective service to University faculty, staff and students.
- Encourage and Promote Teamwork.
- Ability to gain general knowledge of the campus.
- Participate in reporting of campus damage and/or safety issues.
- Must have enthusiasm for the job, a customer service approach and be willing to work in a team environment.
- Hold a valid NYS driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to meet the University insurance standards.
- Proficient mathematical skills.
- Problem-solving and analytical skills
- Possess general knowledge of the campus layout and building locations.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse constituencies.
Experience, and Skills
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Four (4) years of journeyman equivalent experience in HVACR
- Documented record of taking courses and or training to stay current/grow skills in trade
Hold a valid NYS driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to meet the University insurance standards.Preferred Qualifications:
Experience, and Skills
- Associates degree in HVACR
- Journeyman’s card in HVACR trade
- Five (5) or more years of journeyman equivalent experience in HVACR
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, bend and stoop. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Clarkson is committed to complying with the guidelines set forth under the Americans with Disabilities Act.Posting Detail Information Close Date Open Date 03/06/2019 Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions for this Posting
Salary: $26.05 an hour
This position is full time and the shifts and days would be dependent on University needs.
This is a union position and will require successful drug test results.
Clarkson University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
All offers of employment are subject to the applicant successfully passing a background check (including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, and criminal records).Reference Request Details Maximum Number of Reference Requests 3 Minimum Number of Reference Requests 1 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Academic Keys
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Clarkson Website
- Massena-Potsdam Courier Observer
- Hispanic Outlook
- IM Diversity
- Insight Into Diversity
- New York Job Bank
- North Country This Week
- St. Lawrence Plaindealer
- Veterans Administration
- Watertown Daily Times
- Ogdensburg Journal
- Employee Referral
- Alumni Referral
- Conference Referral
- Discipline specific journals
- Discipline specific website
- Times Union
- I do not wish to answer
- * What is the highest level of completed education that you currently hold?
- Highschool Diploma/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- ABD (all but disertation)
- * Do you currently hold a valid drivers license?
- * Do you have four (4) years of journeyman equivalent experience in HVACR?
- * How do you embrace Diversity?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter