APPLICATION DEVELOPER B
Posting DetailsPosting Details Reference Number 02-31285 Posted Job Title APPLICATION DEVELOPER B School Name School of Arts and Sciences Org Linguistic Data Consortium Posted to the Web 03/06/2019 Posted Job/Salary Grade B Employment Type Exempt Hours N/A Position Type Full Time Position Schedule 9-5 Months 12 Position Length Ongoing Position End Date University Overview
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.School/Center Overview
The School of Arts and Sciences forms the foundation of the scholarly excellence that has established Penn as one of the world’s leading research universities. We teach students across all 12 Penn schools, and our academic departments span the reach from anthropology and biology to sociology and South Asian studies. http://www.sas.upenn.edu/Duties
Position supports LDC’s mission critical language resource development activities by providing programming, related research and other technical support in a rapid prototyping environment, for multiple, concurrent, experimental projects with evolving technical requirements and worldwide impact. Working with technical managers, software developers, systems staff, non-technical project staff and international domain experts, position assesses technical requirements, responds with practical plans and specifications and successfully oversees their execution. Position joins a team of more than a dozen technical staff supported by extensive computing infrastructure who together develop novel solutions to challenging technical problems within stringent deadlines and budget constraints. Tasks include: technical needs assessment and specification drafting; development of software tools to collect and process linguistic data, monitor workflow and perform quality control and analysis; end user support and preparation of data and tool publications.Qualifications
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent (MS preferred); one year of related experience.
* Proven record of success in software development projects
* Proven ability to work independently and as part of team sharing code while maintaining a strong sense of personal accountability
* Ability to handle multiple tasks, prioritize responsibilities and manage time effectively in deadline driven environment
* Ability to make progress in an experimental environment despite incomplete, evolving specifications; demonstrated adaptive, flexible handling of rapidly changing requirements
* Demonstrated interpersonal, oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences
* Appropriate attention to detail
* Experience deploying to cloud platforms. Experience with Docker preferred.
* Strong experience programming under UNIX/Linux, Windows, and OS X preferred.
* Knowledge of XML and relational databases and other structured data (experience with Postgres preferred)
* Preferred: Experience developing within a mobile framework
* Preferred: education or research experience in linguistics or human language technologies; experience working with foreign language data, Unicode, audio and video file formats.
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job. Quick Link http://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/postings/44112 Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- [email protected]
- Contacted by a Penn Recruiter
- Referred by a Penn Employee
- Referred by a friend or family member
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Internet Advertisement
- Other Social Media Site
- Professional Affiliation/Trade Website
- Diversity Association/Publication Website
- Heard about it at a conference or career fair
- Apple One
- Recruitment and/or staffing agency
- * What is your highest level of education completed?
- Less than high school education
- High School Diploma or GED
- Vocational or Technical School
- Associate's Degree or Two Year College
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- PHD/MD/JD or equivalent doctoral degree
- * How many years of experience do you have related to this position?
- 0 to 1 Year
- 1 to 2 Years
- 2 to 3 Years
- 3 to 5 Years
- 5 to 7 Years
- 7 to 10 Years
- Over 10 Years
- Cover Letter