Communications Officer #604209
Job Title: Communications Officer
Location: Arizona K-12 Center
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 604209
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
This is a full-time position located in Phoenix, Arizona with some nights, weekends, and extended out of town travel. This position may require out of state travel and will occur in-state travel, including rural parts of Arizona.
This position operates out of the Arizona K12 Center, which is located in Phoenix, Arizona, and provides support to the overall operations of the Center. Responsibilities include:
- Advancing the Arizona K12 Center and university's visibility and reputation through written content, podcasts, and social media.
- Directing, monitoring, and applying best practices for the medium being used, and considering such factors as photography, artwork, and visual presentation of copy during content development process
- Reviewing both audio and digital copy submitted by others and editing material for accuracy, style, and readability, recommending changes where necessary
- Writing compelling copy with the main emphasis on eliminating ambiguity
- Reading, proofing, and/or supervising the proofreading of materials
- Collaborating with subject matter experts, content contributors, and reviewers to achieve high-quality deliverables
- Collaborating with colleagues to develop strategic and intentional messaging
- Creating and writing original and repurposed content that is engaging and compelling for use on websites, email campaigns, brochures, newsletters, annual reports, flyers, blog posts, and more
- Writing effectively, keeping in mind the user experience, content strategy, institutional mission, and division-wide priorities
- Delivering consistent, on-brand messaging
- Managing and coordinating the content review/feedback process and updates
- Documenting content processes, timelines, and deliverables
- Advising, consulting, educating, and supporting other department staff with their communication efforts
- Creating and amending the daily editorial calendar for the Homeroom blog and social media spaces
- Publishing Homeroom blog content
- Interviewing and photographing sources for the purpose of the Center’s print and online publications
- Maintaining the Center’s style and social media guides
- Using appropriate social media platforms to promote events and programs
- Engaging in social media to increase awareness of events and promote the Center’s mission in the education community
- Working collaboratively with staff in the production of photo/video shoots and podcasts
- Preparing and uploading copy/images for daily publication
- Creating podcast episode show notes
- Updating the Center’s professional learning listserv
- Responsible for the overall logistical coordination of assigned events
- Collaborating and communicating with Professional Learning Directors to assist in the development, implementation, and evaluation of assigned events
- Consulting with Associate Director of Operations and Fiscal Operations Manager to ensure programmatic and budget accountability for assigned events and publications
- Adjusting to changing needs of university operations, federal policies, or needs to provide specialized or individualized reports
- Attending university training and conferences relevant to job as well as stay current with related and relevant policies
- Providing support to office and other duties as assigned
NAU is currently engaged in an Organizational Growth and Effectiveness Initiative, which focuses on positioning the University for future success of its operational practices. As a result, some aspects of this position may be subject to change, such as, but not limited to: duties, titles, reporting structure, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, or related field AND three years of professional experience in journalism, public relations, marketing, advertising, or other communications-related field
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training, and/or education
- Experience working with diverse groups and/or in K-12 education settings, higher education, and/or in state and/or local government
- Experience working in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with writing and editing
- A proven ability to copy edit with a working knowledge of Associated Press (AP) Style and/or Chicago Style
- Experience in the production of podcasts
- Experience using and promoting business via social media outlets
- Experience using WordPress and email campaign managers
- Demonstrated experience working with production professionals including designers, photographers, podcast editors, and videographers
- Demonstrated project management skills: the ability to establish priorities and objectives; to gather, classify, categorize, and readily retrieve information to meet deadlines; and to clearly communicate with project stakeholders and participants
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional writing skills, and the ability to switch easily between topics, audiences, objectives, and communication channels
- Ability to manage multiple small and large projects simultaneously
- Ability to work collaboratively and productively
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Excellent time-management and self-directed work style, including the ability to meet tight, fixed deadlines
- Excellent grammar, spelling, and proofreading skills
- Understanding of basic graphic design terms and standards
- Ability to work responsibly and independently, and to exercise excellent judgment
- Project management skills, including ability to establish priorities and objectives and communicate clearly with project stakeholders and participants
- Commitment to providing exceptional customer service
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail required
- Experience using InDesign
- Quick turnaround on writing and other duties
- Ability to develop internal and external relationships
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks in a timely fashion
- Knowledge of different social media outlets and how to maximize the benefit of each
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, with minimal guidance and supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with different constituencies and ability to work with individuals or groups with diverse backgrounds and experience levels
- Able to move and transport laptop carts containing upwards to 30 laptops each, lift a minimum of 25 pounds, and tape down power cords at training venue
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year the Northern Arizona University Police Department releases an annual security report. The report is a result of the federal law known as the Clery Act and contains policy statements that address the school’s policies, procedures and programs concerning safety and security including policies for responding to emergency situations and sexual offenses. The report contains three years of data for Clery reportable crime statistics for the campus along with the most current year’s Fire Safety Report, which includes policy statements and fire statistics for Flagstaff on-campus student housing.
The report may be viewed at nau.edu/clery or by visiting the NAUPD website. A printed copy of the report is available upon request by contacting the NAU Police Department, Records Department at (928)523-8884 or by visiting the department at Building 98A on the NAU Mountain Campus.
The budgeted salary amount is $54,334 - $66,261.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available at https://in.nau.edu/human-resources/eligibility-enrollment/
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each 6 months according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service, which may be found at: https://public.azregents.edu/Policy%20Manual/6-303%20Conditions%20of%20Service%20for%20Service%20Professionals.pdf
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of employment. More information is available at: https://in.nau.edu/human-resources/eligibility-enrollment/
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days (https://in.nau.edu/Human-Resources/Required/). If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years. In addition to the development classes offered in-person, every NAU employee receives a free subscription to Lynda.com. From this site you can access more than 1,400 training videos on a broad range of subjects, including business skills, photography, music and video, home computing, and web design and development.
May 15, 2019 at 11:59 pm.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on line at https://in.nau.edu/human-resources/ or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
The Arizona K12 Center provides professional learning opportunities to Arizona’s K-12 educators and is part of NAU’s College of Education. The training we provide occurs throughout Arizona. For more information about the Center’s work, please visit http://www.azk12.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.