Director of Financial Planning & Data Analytics - CNS
Director of Financial Planning & Data Analytics - CNS
Job no: 498063
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Dean - Natural Sciences
Categories: Administrative/Office Support
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Administration and Finance for the College of Natural Sciences, the Director of Financial Planning and Data Analytics leads the daily financial management and data analysis activities for the College of Natural Sciences (CNS). The position has the direct responsibility for the financial management of the college's $72 million operating budget and overall budget of $153 million, including accountability for the annual operating budget, fiscal policies and procedures, efficiency and effectiveness of systems, long term forecasting, and fiscal compliance and control. The position also gathers, analyzes and interprets data necessary for the assessment and continuous process improvement for all academic and operational areas within the college. The Director of Financial Planning and Data Analytics acts as an advisor on all matters related to strategic and long-range financial planning for the college.
- Instrumental in setting and executing the overall financial management for the College of Natural Sciences (CNS). Leads the finance team to provide financial management support to the operations of the college. Works with a broad constituency of faculty, administrators, and staff to support a diverse operation in a professional and time sensitive environment.
- Serves as a strategic business partner to the Associate Dean for Administration and Finance and senior college leadership members. Plays a critical role in shaping and impacting the operational efficiencies, processes and strategies in the continued growth and success of CNS.
- Collects, analyzes and manipulates data to extract meaning and insight to supporting the mission of CNS and its needs. Crafts and shapes reports to support/develop strategies that significantly improve CNS needs/outcomes.
- Works collaboratively with University offices (Provost, Administration & Finance (Budget Office, Controller's Office, etc.), Internal Audit, Research & Engagement) to insure that the college is operating in the best manner possible and is compliant with all appropriate practices, policies and laws governing the University.
- Researches and apply new tools and practices to improve data collection, reporting and data generation for college wide initiatives and overall operations.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery and other compliance requirements.
- Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
- Works collaboratively with other campus stakeholders to fulfil the mission of Student Affairs and Campus Life.
- Work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness. In the performance of work, take initiative, be creative, and operate with self-direction. Work in partnership with colleagues within the CNS community and across the campus to support the Dean's strategic priorities.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Science or a related field with 5 years of proven financial and data analysis leadership, with a demonstrated ability to lead change initiatives in a complex and dynamic organization.
- Strong collaborative and communication skills; must have the ability to work effectively as part of a diverse and dynamic team in a fast paced environment.
- Must possess solid analytical skills and the ability to think strategically; while respecting the ability to appreciate "the details."
- Highly self-motivated and self-managed individual with the ability to manage multiple projects/priorities simultaneously. Ability to organize and work under strict time and production deadlines, while producing quality deliverables.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively and work productively in establishing and maintaining harmonious working relationships with a diverse population of staff and students.
- A proven track record of a demonstrated commitment to customer service.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master of Business Administration
- Experience in assessing, developing, and re-engineering processes.
- Demonstrable and successful management and fiscal oversight experience, planning, budgeting, reporting, and development of financial and operational metrics to align organizational strategy to business operations.
- Working knowledge of technologies/tools surrounding operational management including budgeting, forecasting and reporting tools and analytical software.
Standard business hours; some night and weekend work required.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a cover letter, resume, Statement of Diversity (see below), and contact information for three professional references. Applications received by March 31, 2019 will have first priority. Search may remain open until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. In addition to application materials above, candidates will need to submit a Statement of Contribution to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. The Diversity Statement should identify past experiences and future goals. These contributions may result from lived experiences, scholarships, and/or mentoring, teaching, and outreach activities. (https://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Mar 5 2019 Eastern Standard Time