Senior Director, Procurement and Business Services
Founded in 1955, the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Einstein) is one of the nation's premier institutions for medical education, basic research and clinical investigation. A full-time faculty of some 2,000 conducts research, teaches, and delivers health care in every major biomedical specialty. The college has some 730 medical students, 193 Ph.D. students, 106 MD/Ph.D. students and 275 postdoctoral fellows.
Einstein's major strength, in addition to training physicians and scientists, is its science. During fiscal year 2015, the faculty's consistently high level of scientific achievement resulted in the awarding of more than $150 million in peer-reviewed grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Einstein is part of Montefiore Medicine Academic Health System, an integrated academic delivery system comprising seven campuses, including 8 hospitals, a multi-county ambulatory network, a new state-of-the art “hospital without beds”, a skilled nursing facility, school of nursing, home health agency, and the state's first freestanding emergency department. As the University Hospital for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore is a premier academic health system, employing Einstein's clinical faculty and training Einstein's medical students, over 1,300 residents, 420 allied health students, and 1,600 nursing students annually.
The Albert Einstein College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Einstein seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.
The Senior Director of Procurement and Business Services is a key member of the College's leadership team and will be responsible for the strategic oversight and management of procurement process, including strategic sourcing, procurement, vendor relationship management and contract negotiation, payments, e-procurement and shipping and receiving.
This position reports to the Associate Dean of Administration and Finance will lead a professional team who is charged with providing services and support while ensuring the College obtains the best value in procuring goods and services needed to fulfill its mission.
The Senior Director will be a successful change agent who can develop strong relationships with senior leaders and build collaborative partnerships with internal and external stakeholders. The Senior Director will have oversight of the policies, procedures, business processes and systems that will assure the integrity and best proactive methodologies of procurement and strategic sourcing while maintaining compliance with all federal, state and local regulations. This leader will create a roadmap for innovative change ensuring that it meets expectations for improved services, efficiencies and savings while providing a high level of customer service.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates programmatic and operational effectiveness, and effects changes required for improvement.
- Develop organizational capabilities; build and manage an effective, professional and diverse team; and establish a model for engaging internal stakeholders;
- Coach, lead and develop this team and build out an organization that will be responsible to internal customers and good stewards of College funds;
- Develop and execute strategic sourcing initiatives, establish targets of cost savings and determine financial impacts of these initiatives;
- Develops and manages annual budgets for the organization and performs periodic cost and productivity analyses.
- Establish and maintain measurable performance metrics for all levels of purchasing and business service activities
- Acts as negotiator between the College and vendors/suppliers on procurement contracts; keeps informed of all new developments relative to available resources; makes recommendations designed to reduce costs, update systems, and provide environmentally approved materials and services.
- Reviews major procurement contracts; coordinates contract compliance, change orders, and problem resolution in conformance with contract law; consults with legal counsel as required.
- Oversees the vendor selection process including assessment of vendor capabilities, development of alternate sources, and evaluation of vendor performance.
- Use technology to the highest extend possible to advance the mission of procurement and payments at the College;
- Directs and oversees the management of the operations of Accounts Payable and Shipping and Receiving functions ensuring operational compliance with relevant College, state, and federal policies and regulations
- Maintains compliance with internal college policies and appropriate regulatory procurement regulations;
- Develop and maintain internal procurement policies and rules that balance best business practices, compliance, customer needs and flexibility;
- Plans, develops, and implements strategies for generating resources and/or revenues for the organization;
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration required; MBA preferred;
- Advanced certification (CPPO or CPM) is highly desired;
- Eight (8) years of progressively responsible leadership in relevant procurement, vendor negotiations, contract administration and payment process in a similarly complex organization either in the public or private sector;
Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrated knowledge in state and federal statutes relative to educational purchasing to ensure compliance with the FAR and UGG;
- Prior experience working in a computerized environment with demonstrated knowledge of the personal computer in a Microsoft Office environment., Banner ERP and Jaggaer' s e-procurement solution.
- Proven record and in-depth knowledge of policies, procedures, business processes, and systems that reflect the integrity and best practice methodology of procurement and strategic sourcing,
- Demonstrated project management leadership and ability to meet deadlines;
- Experience in creating and executing workflow and process for a procurement and payment services team;
- Knowledge of capital construction procurement methodologies;
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills. Ability to build successful partnerships and effectively communicate and professionally represent the College with internal and external stakeholders,
- Demonstrated willingness to be a leader, respecting all constituent groups using current and proven best practices for efficient and successful results;
- Well-versed in quantitative decision making and driving change with the ability to establish metrics, model spread, and evaluate spend analytics;
- Experience building out a high performing and effective procurement infrastructure and organization;
- Ability to work collaboratively and to effectively lead staff;
Scope of Responsibility
- Position will manage 6 managers with a total team of 24 employees
- Manages a procurement College budget of $2 Million.
- Manages payments of $165 Million.