Lead HVAC Technician
Title:Lead HVAC Technician Department:Physical Plant Administration Job Category:Staff Regular/Temporary:Regular Open Date:03/05/2019 Description:
- Working Supervisor
- Overhauls and services refrigeration, air conditioning, and heating units by repairing or replacing and adjusting worn or broken parts on condensers, compressors, evaporators, fans and water vacuum pumps; tests refrigeration equipment.
- Leads HVAC Technicians in the performance and completion of HVAC mechanical and electrical systems.
- Preventative maintenance of HVAC systems on the Douglas campus.
- Leads and ensures proper maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of HVAC related systems including boilers, chillers, refrigeration systems, pumps, air compressors, generators, blowers, fans, variable frequency drives, and computerized maintenance controls.
- Programs and monitors occupied and unoccupied space for energy savings and scheduling.
- Available after hours in the case of emergencies.
- Works with Supervisor for needed upgrades and major issues.
- Makes sure all filters are changed properly and tracks inventory.
- Performs other job-related functions as requested.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Ability to exhibit a positive attitude and to deal with coworkers, students, faculty and staff tactfully and courteously in order to maintain effective service-oriented relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively and follow oral and written instructions.
- Skill in locating, diagnosing and correcting defects in HVAC systems and equipment.
- Computer skills and ability to understand HVAC insight system.
- Considerable knowledge of standard trades practices, use of materials, test equipment and tools.
- Ability to multitask and coordinate multiple projects.
Position reports to Physical Plant Coordinator.
Guidelines include college policies and procedures, department policies and Board of Regents policy and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK:
- Strict regulations contribute to the complexity of the position.
- Success in this position contributes to the efficiency, effectiveness, and regulatory compliance of all department operations.
- Contacts are typically with students, co-workers, other college personnel and members of the general public
- Contacts are typically to provide services; to give or exchange information; to resolve problems; to motivate or influence persons; or to justify, defend or negotiate matters
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- The work is typically performed while standing, or while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, bending or crouching.
- The employee occasionally lifts heavy objects.
- The work is typically performed in the field setting.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY:
- The work consists of varied administrative and supervisory duties and coordination of primary functional areas
- Strict regulations and responsibilities related to department systems and applications contribute to the complexity of the position
- Valid Driver’s License
- Refrigerant handling certification/ EPA License
- 5 years’ experience in HVAC
- Vocational degree in HVAC
- Commercial or Residential HVAC license
- 10 years’ experience in HVAC
- Experience with DD automated controls