Academic Director – INTO George Mason University
Academic Director – INTO George Mason University
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in 198 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax, and Prince William as well as at learning locations across the Commonwealth and in South Korea. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Academic Director provides leadership to all of the academic personnel within the INTO Mason Center on the development of new programs, curriculum, accreditation, academic integrity and program standards. INTO University Partnerships collaborates with leading universities to provide international students with a personalized and highly supportive learning environment in which to acclimatize to life on a US university campus and prepare for long-term academic success. On a daily operational level, the Academic Director is an integral member of the INTO Mason Center Senior Management Team and is expected to work closely with and receive direction from the INTO Mason Executive Director in concert with the university’s approach to meeting the administrative and academic needs of the Center and its faculty and students. The Academic Director is responsible for developing and implementing a strategic direction for managing academic resources in the Center, including but not limited to: teaching resources, faculty, academic coordinators, academic support and related resources.
This position reports to the Associate Provost for Academic Initiatives & Services in the Office of the Provost and the INTO Mason Executive Director.
Work with the Executive Director to provide operational-level leadership to advance INTO Mason and university goals regarding enrollment, retention, and academic quality. This includes:
- Efficient management of academic expenditures related to teaching resources;
- Ability to work successfully with university colleges and departments to create new Pathway programs, as well evolve those already in place;
- Oversee development of local employee policies in consultation with the Office of the Provost.
Manage portfolio of academic programs at the INTO Mason Center. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Maintaining academic standards as set by the major professional bodies for English Language programs and academic studies;
- Coordinating English Language and Pathway Programs with partner departments;
- Supervising Academic Advising and providing guidance on progression requirements;
- Overseeing tutoring and testing resources offered through the Learning Resource Center.
Build and sustain a performance-based, professional team environment:
- Perform annual evaluations of faculty and staff ensure follow-through of the hiring, orientation, evaluation, and performance of program faculty;
- Liaise with INTO University Partner resources (other centers, regional offices, etc.) regarding academic programs, student academic issues, special programs, training, and recruiting;
- Maintain an environment that encourages teamwork among all employees;
- Serve as a role model for working with and advising students and maintaining collegial relationships, and setting high professional standards in all matters;
- Serve as an ambassador for INTO Mason, meeting with stakeholders to communicate and implement long- and short-term goals.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in TESOL, Linguistics, Education or a related field;
- Significant demonstrated experience in academic program design, management, and quality assurance;
- Highly organized, with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure;
- Solid experience with assessment and program evaluation;
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- Eligible to work in and travel freely to and from the United States (e.g., a valid passport);
- Ability to think and plan ahead and contribute to the center’s operational strategy;
- Able to maximize the efficiency of resources within agreed constraints;
- Strong leadership skills and commitment to ethical professional practice.
- Ph.D. in TESL, TEFL, Applied Linguistics, Education or a related field;
- Experience in the ESL field, in both administrative and instructional roles;
- A record of success in leading international programs;
- Demonstrated commitment to George Mason University goals and strategies for expanding international programs.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA15Az at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.