Senior Data Analyst
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Data Analyst in the College of Information and Computer Sciences (CICS) is responsible for cultivating and communicating insights from data to support the college’s mission, vision, strategic priorities, and brand. The Data Analyst will plan, analyze and report CICS data to support decision-making, program planning, marketing initiatives and the assessment of CICS effectiveness. Will work with constituents from across the University to develop and maintain mechanisms for business decision support through data reporting, data presentation, and data visualization, in support of college and university operational and strategic planning.
This position will be responsible for:
- Developing informative and actionable dashboards, analyses and reports.
- Understanding and simplifying complex business processes.
- Identifying and operationalizing key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Designing and vetting database(s) and other relevant data feeds, running queries, and ensuring data integrity.
- Establishing detailed and non-technical documentation and trainings.
- Identifies sources of relevant data, required statistical techniques and appropriate analytical software. Researches and applies new tools and practices to improve data collection, reporting and data generation.
- Executes analyses and manipulates data using sophisticated analytical software to craft and shape reports to support/develop strategies that improve needs/outcomes.
- Maintains databases and translates data into user-friendly formats.
- Makes recommendations related to research, rankings and college-wide opportunities for continuous improvement in all academic, research, outreach and operational areas.
- Researches and prepares information and reports using statistical and historical data for faculty research and teaching productivity; student success metrics; student, faculty and alumni surveys; annual reports and reviews; strategic plans; benchmarking from various data sources such as US Reports, UMass Research and Engagement and Office of Institutional Research and Planning.
- Identifies, sources, and prepares reports of key organizational metrics and trends in research and education to CICS leadership for promotional activities including those related to development, alumni relations, and faculty and staff productivity.
- Consults with the Dean, Associate Deans, Department Chair, and faculty and staff on continuous improvement opportunities to inform decision-making.
- Maintains and continues to improve data collection and documentation procedures by determining what information is needed and what is available through the Office of Institutional Research, and other sources.
- Supports faculty and staff by providing training on data collection and management, and policies and procedures to meet survey and rankings requirements.
- Works on special projects as needed.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in Information/Computer Science, Math, Statistics, or related field and 4+ years of related experience in qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis, and reporting
Master's Degree in Information/Computer Science, Math, Statistics, or related field and 1+ years of related experience in qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis, and reporting
PhD in Information/Computer Science, Math, Statistics, or related field (new graduates are encouraged to apply).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with collecting, managing, interpreting large data sets, and analyzing and visualizing relationships in data.
- Familiarity with protocols for optimizing data hygiene and for handling sensitive data.
- Working knowledge of, or experience with software for dashboard creation (Tableau preferred).
- Experience with visualization of large databases.
- Ability to learn new technical skills rapidly and independently.
- Experience with running complex SQL queries.
- Experience with data analysis in R, Python or with similar tools.
- Experience in assessing, developing and re-engineering processes.
- Strong skills in all Microsoft Office programs. Extreme proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to credibly and authoritatively communicate with faculty, staff, and administration as well as with other constituents, most specifically in a consultative/training role.
- Capacity for a high degree of independent action and initiative, including the ability to establish priorities and manage multiple complex tasks and projects simultaneously and independently; as well as the ability to work well on cross-functional teams. Willingness to take on new challenges and tasks as needed.
- Ability to interpret and translate business requirements into reporting needs. Knowledgeable of and sensitive to business trends and patterns.
- Ability to analyze data to support management decisions and improve performance. Highly comfortable making data digestible to non-technical teams.
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail.
- Must be able to work through ambiguity and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Knowledge of open-source relational databases such as MySQL or PostgreSQL, and open source programming languages such Perl and PHP.
- Experience with a CRM (specifically Salesforce).
- Knowledge of client-server database querying tools and other on-line analytic processing tools.
- Experience in a related administrative position in a higher education setting.
- Experience with web analytics and other market research best practices.
- Programming experience using statistical tools (i.e. SAS, SPSS, etc.).
- Proven track record of success in delivering customer insights to drive business strategy.
- Experience with FileMaker.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical Office Environment.
Occasional travel required.
M-F, 37.5 hours per week; some night and weekend work required.
Professional Staff Salary Administration Level 26. Pay associated with Level 28.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply please submit a cover letter, a resume, and names and contact information of three professional references.
Applicants should apply by the priority deadline of April 1, 2019 in order to ensure consideration; however, applications may be accepted until the position is filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.