Systems and Data Services Librarian
The National Louis University (NLU) University Library is seeking applicants for a full-time, faculty Systems and Data Services Librarian at the rank of Assistant Professor. This position will be based at the Chicago campus and reports to the Dean of the University Library. This Librarian will serve as the Library’s data ambassador and be responsible for the Library’s platform/integrated library system and developing data resources that support student learning and scholarly communications. NLU is a 130+ year old university that has been grounded in the values of innovation, access, and excellence and we are committed to providing an affordable education for all students. NLU historically has served adults and is increasingly serving first generation college students in online, blended, and face to face environments at multiple campuses. The University Library seeks to hire faculty who are flexible, innovative, collaborative, forward-thinking, and who can respond rapidly to the changing needs of traditional, adult, and distance learners in diverse learning environments.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Provides leadership in planning, implementing, and executing integrated library automation systems, applications, and technology services that enable the Library’s efficient operations and strategic initiatives.
• Administers and configures the Library’s integrated library system, comprised of system administration, security, users, profiles, policies, circulation, acquisitions, cataloging, serials management, and statistical data reporting.
• Manages and leads the collecting, reporting, visibility, and application of library data.
• Serves as the primary technical liaison with ILS vendor, Ex Libris and with the Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI) for integrated library systems.
• Manages, implements, and provides technical expertise for library software and systems, including the ExLibris Voyager Integrated Library System (ILS), OCLC’s Connexion client, Archon, and the institutional repository.
• Collects, analyzes, and creates reports and visualizations of library generated data related to library resources, services, and instruction.
• Integrates and upgrades library systems to improve the user experience and proactively researches, recommends, and develops technologically innovative services to match user needs.
• Troubleshoots hardware and software problems with Voyager and other library systems, including data maintenance.
• Identifies data needs that support student learning, retention, and scholarly communications in collaboration with other stakeholders.
• Provides technical support for the management of OCLC software and services.
• Increases the usability of library and research data resources that support scholarly communications.
• Collaborates on e-resources management, acquisitions workflows, collections budget, and related projects with library faculty.
• Participates in planning, assessment and continuous improvement of all library operations and services, especially those related to information technology.
• Keeps current with trends in digital library technologies and integrated systems.
• Collaborates with colleagues on data gathering, the evaluation of pricing, usage, and other metrics to support budget processes and annual reporting requirements using evidence-based practices.
• Participates in faculty governance and teaching activities.
• Travels to NLU campuses on occasion as needed.
• MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution or international equivalent;
• Demonstrated understanding and competence with integrated library systems and data resources;
• Ability to use a variety of software tools to extract and manipulate data (Excel, CSV/TSV formats, MS Access);
• Experience with data ingesting (SQL/MS Access);
• Knowledge of networking infrastructure and troubleshooting;
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
• Excellent communication and customer service skills;
• Strong organizational and time management skills;
• Strong digital librarianship skills;
• Commitment to continuous learning and professional development;
• Willingness to travel to other campus or off-campus locations, and a flexible schedule that includes some evenings and weekends;
• Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with various stakeholders to implement and manage projects and to problem solve;
• Knowledge of current and emerging systems and trends in academic librarianship and in higher education;
• Demonstrated and effective project management and problem-solving skills;
• Academic library experience;
• At least one (1) year of professional experience working with library systems;
• Ability to work effectively with culturally diverse learners.
• Experience with shared ILS systems at the consortium level;
• Experience with Ex Libris products, especially Alma and Primo;
• Familiarity with current web accessibility standards (e.g. WCAG 2.0);
• Experience with electronic resource support tools (e.g. EZProxy, SFX);
• Interest and/or experience with learning analytics.