Sign Shop Senior Worker
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-03-04
Facilities Management (FM) supports the University of Virginia's wide range of research, academic and patient care programs. With over 1,200 employees dedicated to excellence, Facilities Management is responsible for the day-to-day operation, repair and maintenance of U.Va.'s buildings, infrastructure and grounds as well as other University-owned and leased properties.
We have an opportunity for a Sign Shop Senior Worker who will engrave various types of signs using a computer engraver, ensuring that signs meet the University and national standards. The incumbent will also use woodworking and layout & design skills to construct signs.
- Perform maintenance work using hand and power tools by making carpentry repairs.
- Perform cosmetic repairs, such as painting walls and maintaining woodwork and signs, to uphold the overall aesthetic appeal of buildings and grounds.
- Operate a wide variety of small hand and power tools, as well as larger equipment and vehicles such as pick-up trucks, tractors, mowers, saws, grass trimmers, snow and leaf blowers, sprayers, and paint machines.
- Adhere to, as well as monitor others' work in compliance with, applicable traffic laws, operator instructions, required appropriate clothing and protection, safety standards, and federal, state, and local regulations.
- Perform special delivery services by loading items on delivery vehicles, safeguarding items during transit, personally delivering items, and obtaining the appropriate signature from a higher authority to provide evidence of receipt of the delivered items.
- Perform custodial services using hand and power tools in areas such as buildings, classrooms, offices, and job sites, as needed.
- Move furniture regarding special event setup or remodeling and renovations.
In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Experience: A minimum of four years of experience in sign shop environment. Experience with commercial signage is highly preferred.
Licensure: Valid Driver's license, with a positive points balance.
Computer Skills: Experience using Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe InDesign or other such commercial programs.
Employee will be required to lift various weights, climb ladders and stairs in order to complete jobs. The use of both hands and a repetitive motion will be required while performing duties.
To apply, visit https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs and search for Sign Shop Senior Worker. Complete the online application, attaching a cover letter, resume and three references (name, email address, telephone number, address).
All documents are required. Only completed applications received through our UVA Workday Job site will be reviewed,
The position will remain open until filled.
Questions regarding the application process should be directed to Eirine Vlavianos, Academic Recruiter at [email protected]