Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-03-04
The Division of Nephrology, laboratory of Dr. Uta Erdbrugger, is searching for a Lab Specialist.
Lab Specialists employees provide technical lab support by performing complex lab and research related tasks. They act as specialists on research methods and equipment functions specific to investigations. They have the authority to adapt methods and procedures to meet the needs of research. They are distinguished from Lab Technicians by the types and duration of assignments, as well as the skills and expertise necessary to serve as resources on non-routine problems. Lab Specialist employees perform daily activities without supervision; their longer-term assignments require greater oversight. Lab Specialist employees often train others on work processes and policies.
- Specialize in lab and/or other research methods and equipment functions specific to Principal Investigators and/or labs. Demonstrate expertise in troubleshooting problems and recommending solutions. Perform a variety of tests requiring high degree of proficiency.
- Assist in evaluation of research methods, procedures, and techniques based on established objectives.
- May perform small animal surgery.
- Provide basic assistance to researchers in manipulating, computing, and analyzing data using specialized statistical computer software. Evaluate experiment results using statistical and multivariate analyses. Research, compile, and maintain complex statistical, numerical, and computerized reports.
- Perform library and literature research.
- Assist in instructing lab academic sections in lab methods, procedures, and safety.
- Explain work instructions and may adapt general methods and procedures in order to meet the needs of the research.
- Assist in training other staff members on procedures.
In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree
Experience: At least three years of experience, which may include experience gained while a student.
This position can spend extensive periods of time standing and squatting while conducting experiments or caring for animals. Also requires keyboarding and other bench work and animal procedures requiring finer finger manipulation.The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.