Research Support Specialist (F/T or P/T)
Required Qualifications (as evidenced by an attached resume):Bachelors degree (foreign equivalent or higher) in Biology, Chemistry or equivalent field of study. Prior laboratory or health care experience (clinical or research setting.)
Preferred Qualifications:One (1) year experience in clerical or technical duties in a health care (clinical or research) setting. Computer competency (i.e. MS Word, Excel spreadsheets.)Brief Description of Duties: Incumbent supports the Anatomic Pathology and Pathology Departments with research related duties.
Anatomic Pathology Department duties:
- File in numeric order patient Surgical, Cytology & Autopsy Microscopy slides (including consult cases) & paraffin tissue blocks on a daily basis.
- Retrieval of patient microscope slides from storage (Hospital and/or Tech Park) for review of previous material and Tumor Board conferences. As well as maintaining a record of the location of original slides and blocks that have been retrieved.
- Retrieval of microscope slides / paraffin tissue blocks from storage (Hospital and/or Tech Park) for patients / clinicians that have requested them to be sent out for 2nd opinions or additional specialty testing. As well as maintaining a record of the location of original slides and blocks that have been retrieved.
- Retrieval of patient microscope slides / paraffin tissue blocks from storage (Hospital and/or Tech Park) that have been requested by researchers and submit to Pathologist for review before releasing.
- Packing up slides / blocks to be sent back to originating institutions and documenting return of said slides / blocks.
- Retrieval of patient microscope slides / paraffin tissue blocks for Legal requests.
Department of Pathology duties:
- Maintain accurate inventory of patients consents in written and electronic format.
- Perform Copath searches to identify slides which meet protocol requirements.
- Assist with completion of monthly iLab billing and reports.
- Assist with supply inventory and ordering.
- Assist with technical duties in Research Histology Core Laboratory
- Other duties as assigned.
The Research Foundation of SUNY is a private educational corporation. Employment is subject to the Research Foundation policies and procedures, sponsor guidelines and the availability of funding. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. **This position will be filled Full Time or Part Time, for Part Time position, days and hours are flexible.
Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
About Stony Brook:Long Island’s premier academic medical center, Stony Brook Medicine represents Stony Brook University’s entire medical enterprise and integrates all of Stony Brook’s health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. It encompasses Stony Brook University Hospital, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, the six Health Sciences schools — Dental Medicine, Health Technology and Management, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medicine, Nursing and Social Welfare — as well as the major centers and institutes, programs and more than 50 community-based healthcare settings throughout Suffolk County. With 603 beds, Stony Brook University Hospital serves as Suffolk County’s only tertiary care center and Regional Trauma Center. Stony Brook Children’s, with more than 180 pediatric specialists in 30 specialties, offers the most advanced pediatric specialty care in the region.
Stony Brook University/Research is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer. We encourage all to apply including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632- 6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632- 6350. It can also be viewed on line at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Shift: Day Shift
Posting Start Date: May 16, 2019
Posting End Date: May 30, 2019, 10:59:00 PM