Media Relations Manager
JOB TITLE: Media Relations Manager
DEPARTMENT: Office of Communication
REPORTS TO: Director, Communication
Supports the Director of Communication in efforts to generate public awareness of SVA and its departments, exhibitions, events and programs by leading day-to-day media relations and advising the Director on institutional outreach and special projects. Actively contributes to external positioning efforts to advance the reputation of the College.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conceptualize and implement strategies to position SVA in the media as one of the leading institutions for the education and training of creative professionals
- Conceptualize and implement strategies to place faculty in the media as quoted experts
- Develop a plan to cultivate international media contacts
- Actively seek out placement opportunities by monitoring key New York and national media outlets and editorial calendars
- Work closely with departments to identify media targets and generate story ideas
- Research, write and distribute press releases, backgrounders, story pitches, media alerts Pitch stories by phone and e-mail
- Develop targeted media lists and cultivate new contacts, including via social media
- Sustain strong relationships with senior-level members of the media and influencers
- Oversee media database management Vet and respond to media inquiries
- Facilitate media interviews and manage photo shoots and/or broadcast tapings
- Stay current with changes and trends in the arts and design fields
- Monitor and devise reporting methods of media coverage of the College and its competitors
- Contribute creative ideas in brainstorming sessions with Communication team
- Prepare timelines and schedules and meet strict editorial and publication deadlines
- Oversee press mailings, e-mail blasts and publishing of content on SVA’s website
- Contribute ideas and write stories for institutional publications
- Represent College at gallery openings and events Contribute regularly to SVA social media platforms
- BA in English, Communications, Journalism or related field required
- Minimum of 5 years’ publicity experience in the arts, design or culture sectors
- Possess strong relationships in the media, particularly in the art, design and education press
- Aggressively cultivate new contacts in the art, design and education press
- Demonstrate a track record of leveraging social media for client visibility, media cultivation and press coverage
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems, while collaborating with teammates—especially the assistant director of digital content and social media— and utilizing all resources available
- Must be highly self-driven, demonstrate great initiative, exude high energy and show attention to detail.
- Must be a confident, flexible, multi-tasker, and be able to work independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills A record of major print, broadcast and Web placements
- Familiarity with Cision or other Web-based media service
- Accuracy, attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines essential
- Outstanding people skills and the ability to handle multiple projects at once
- Focused and self-motivated, yet flexible and a team player
Cover letter, writing samples and media placements required
School of Visual Arts (SVA) in New York City is an established leader and innovator in the education of artists. From its inception in 1947, the faculty has been comprised of professionals working in the arts and art-related fields. SVA provides an environment that nurtures creativity, inventiveness and experimentation, enabling students to develop a strong sense of identity and a clear direction of purpose.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
No walk-ins or phone calls please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer.