MIAMI DADE COLLEGE ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR PRESIDENT
Miami Dade College (MDC) seeks a visionary leader, strategic thinker and lifetime learner who inspires excellence in others and exemplifies integrity. MDC’s next president must be committed to serving the institution’s student-centered mission and must possess an entrepreneurial mindset to capitalize on the College’s strengths and build on the College’s tradition of excellence. The College is searching for a champion who can cultivate and support a diverse and inclusive College community built upon accessibility, affordability and transformational education.
We are “Democracy’s College.” This is a title that we do not take lightly. It is the essence of our institution and drives the core work of our mission. MDC was founded in 1960 to serve all students in Miami-Dade County – to provide higher education to those who would not otherwise have that opportunity. Today, MDC enrolls over 165,000 students across eight campuses strategically located throughout Miami-Dade County, and offers over 300 programs and pathways in certificate, associate and baccalaureate programs. We serve the underserved. MDC enrolls and graduates more minority students than any college or university in the United States. Additionally, we grant more associate degrees than any other institution in the nation.
The College President, reporting to the Board of Trustees, serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the College and Chief Administrative Officer to the institution. The College President provides the overall vision and direction for the College, upholding the College’s deep and longstanding commitment to access, diversity, programmatic quality and student success. As such, the ideal candidate must:
- Be a bold leader who is visible, approachable and responsive
- Be an individual with strong track record of ethical behavior and integrity
- Demonstrate a deep commitment to students, particularly first-generation students, low income students and students from traditionally underserved populations
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrate a commitment to the College’s mission to prepare students for ethical leadership, global citizenship and engaged service
- Embrace the mission of the College in preparing students for workforce development, entrepreneurism, and a mindset of innovation
- Have the ability and the desire to understand and integrate into the Miami-Dade community and diverse cultures
- Demonstrate passion and excitement in delivering a transformational learning experienced centered on student needs
- Demonstrate a deep and abiding commitment to academic freedom that upholds shared governance and consensus-building
- Demonstrate collaborative and transparent leadership
- Demonstrate a proven track record in recruiting, retaining and inspiring talented faculty, staff and administrators and a commitment to the professional development of faculty and staff
- Possess a proven record of transparent and collaborative approaches to problem solving that invites innovation and multiple perspectives
- Demonstrate an understanding of the current opportunities and challenges faced by state colleges
- Possess the discernment and judgment to assess, modify and develop strategic and effective plans that allow the College to pursue its mission and goals
- Possess the skills and acumen, as demonstrated through past experiences, to develop and execute strategies in a complex organization, including the ability to prioritize and facilitate the allocation of fiscal and human resources effectively and efficiently
- Demonstrate confidence and decisive management skills, including a record of courageous and difficult decisions in situations with competing demands and limited resources
- Demonstrate a high comfort level and the ability to secure financial support from donors, philanthropists, and supporters of Miami Dade College
- Comfortable and effective with State and local legislative and budgetary processes
- Eligible candidates must have the following minimum requirements:
- A doctoral degree from a regionally-accredited institution
- Minimum of ten (10) years of senior level management experience, with at least six (6) years in an institution of higher learning
- Demonstrated leadership and innovative accomplishments in the area of academic and student service programs and/or administrative, financial, and operational areas
NOMINATIONS AND APPLICATIONS
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with materials submitted by Friday, March 29, 2019 receiving priority consideration. Candidates should visit the http://www.mdc.edu/presidential-search/default.aspx. Applications should include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae and five professional references with email addresses and telephone numbers. References will not be contacted without prior authorization from applicants.
The College has retained Diversified Search to support its search and selection processes. For confidential inquiries and nominations, please contact:
Kim M. Morrisson, Ph. D.
Senior Managing Director Diversified Search
John T. Mestepey
Managing Director Diversified Search