Assistant Professor Sustainable Food Systems
The Program in Geography at the University of Minnesota Duluth seeks a faculty member with a specialization in sustainable food systems. Applicant’s background should bridge the nexus of food, community development, and sustainability. We are particularly interested in candidates that possess mixed-methods research skills blending sustainable agriculture and social sciences in order to contribute to the UMD Land Lab, a 15-acre transitional sustainable farm that was recently voted one of the top university run farms in the country (http://d.umn.edu/landlab/).
Candidates should have demonstrated excellence in research and teaching. The successful candidate will contribute to undergraduate teaching in the department’s Environment, Sustainability & Geography (ESG) degree, including core courses. Preference will be given to candidates who complement and expand on departmental strengths and who add intellectual diversity to the department. We are especially interested in applicants with a record of successful teaching and mentoring of students from all backgrounds (including first-generation college students, low-income students, racial and ethnic minorities, women, LGBTQ, etc.) and an interest in contributing to UMD’s programs, curricular offerings, and research portfolio in ways that enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion; applicants are encouraged to address these topics in the letter of application. Application materials include: cover letter, CV, statement of research and teaching interests including the candidate’s vision for contributing to the Land Lab.
Review of applications will begin 3/18/2019 and continue until filled.
Appointment: This is a 2-year appointment, beginning Fall 2019. The current teaching load is between 12 -16 credits per semester. There is currently the possibility of internal and system-wide grants and summer teaching.
- MA in Geography or closely related discipline
- Specialization in Sustainable Food Systems Promising research program, as evidenced by things like: graduate transcript, writing sample, letters of reference, publications.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to excellence in undergraduate education
- PhD at time of application
- Experiential and classroom-based teaching experience in a college or university setting
- Experience teaching and advising undergraduate students or preparedness to begin immediate advising responsibilities
- Ability to teach courses including Ecological Economics, Environmental and Ecological Justice, and Geography of Cultural Diversity
- Established publication record https://hr.myu.umn.edu/psc/hrprd/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB_FL&ACTION=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1
And the searchable number is Job ID # 328540