Laboratory Assistant 2
Laboratory Assistant 2 Job Number Full/Part Time Schedule Salary 201902228601 Full Time 8AM - 5PM $36,102 - $42,512 Position Information Working with PI Richard Stouthamer assist with conducting research on two species of Scolytinae beetles have invaded California over the last 20 years that are called shot hole borers. These species attack a large variety of tree species and in some cases are capable of killing trees. The lab will track these populations and do a variety of experiments to try to control these species. Minimum Requirements Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma, and two years of laboratory experience or two years of college including courses in the natural, physical or social sciences and one year of laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated experience with maintenance of insect colonies on diet and logs. Demonstrated ability to work independently or under close supervision; ability to work well with others and as part of a team. Ability to professionally and clearly communicate with diverse individuals (to include faculty and staff) in person and via e-mail. Ability to accurately follow written and oral directions in a timely manner; ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing. Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Demonstrated knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position. Strong work ethics and sense of responsibility. Must possess a Valid CA Drivers License in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles. Ability to drive a small truck/ SUV. Demonstrated ability to identify different insect species through education or experience or a combination of both. Ability to organize or develop systems of tracking samples or data collected. Ability to use Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Ability to enter and manipulate data within Excel. Strong attention to detail; ability to multitask and adapt to changing workload and priorities. Preferred Qualifications Bachelor's degree in Entomology. Ability to identify ambrosia beetle species. Ability to do PCR reactions required for insect species identification. Proven experience in insect related field work Additional Information In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- UC Riverside was included in the (August 2018) edition of The Princeton Review's "The Best 382 Colleges."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2017) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- In 2016, UCR was recognized for graduation rate success by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU) for achieving near parity across racial-ethnic, socio-economic, and gender boundaries.
- UCR ranks among the Top 15 Public Research Universities in the nation, as identified by the 2017 Washington Monthly.
- In 2017, two separate reports from the Education Trust celebrated UCR as a national leader for African American and Latino student success. UCR was one of just three schools to be named top-performing institutions in both reports and the only California campus recognized among 18 top-performing colleges and universities in the nation for high black student graduation rates.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview
Job Description Details View complete Job Description for this position