Senior Software Developer
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Title Senior Software Developer Department Center for Research Computing Full Time/Part Time Full-Time Requisition Number S19449 Open Date 03/01/2019 Close Date Salary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, flexible hours during normal 40 hour work week.Benefits Eligible Yes Eligible for Overtime No Position Summary
The Center for Research Computing (CRC) at Rice University enables faculty and researchers to effectively leverage on and off-premise (1) shared high performance computing, (2) VM and cloud computing, (3) data storage infrastructure, and (4) broader IT services, all with an eye to advance and accelerate cutting-edge research and scholarship across the University and with our partners.
We are currently looking to expand our team of professionals with a Senior Software Developer that can help CRC (1) expand its capabilities and capacity to directly engage and consult on research projects, (2) serve as a software developer for extended periods supporting one or more projects, and (3) serve as a software architect and reviewer for critical shared software infrastructure that enables CRC to support, enhance, and accelerate the research mission of the university. The position is part of a larger team of research computing, developers, technologists and facilitators focused on advancing research and scholarship, developing Rice’s research cyberinfrastructure, and expanding CRC’s ability to engage research projects more deeply. The successful candidate will be engage and working on long term projects with research groups on campus.
The successful candidate will not only bring the technical skills, but bring ideas, energy, and enthusiasm to help CRC engage both more broadly and deeply with researchers and scholars across the university. This is a fantastic opportunity to engage in a positive and creative work environment that offers the candidate the opportunity to grow and contribute to accelerating the research mission of Rice University.Education Required Bachelor's Degree Major/Discipline
Computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, or a related field.Substitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred
MS or PhD in computer science or computer engineering.Experience Required 5 years Type of Experience
Related experience in software development, including network stack and distributed systems.Substitution for Experience Requirement
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
- Experience in developing, working with and managing large codebase
- Experience in performance measurement and optimization of data and task parallel workloads.
- Experience and mastery of command-line scripting and familiarity with Linux’s command-line tools
- Experience with SQL and database development
- Experience with system & hardware integration and programming
- Experience with with web and mobile app development
- Experience with GUI and workflow design and development
- Experience with cloud development and deployment
- Knowledge of latest software, languages, and design standards
- Demonstrable expertise with software development in C/C++ and Python
- Ability to define and solve logical problems for technical applications
- Knowledge of and ability to select, adapt, and effectively use a variety of programming methods and frameworks
- Familiarity with development on multiple processor architectures (x86, ARM, etc.)
- Must be able to program & script across multiple platforms and languages
- Familiarity with Software Engineering design principles, project life cycle, source code control (creating and managing git repositories), etc.
- Familiarity with programming hardware accelerators such as GPUs and FPGAs
- Familiarity with type systems and logic
- Familiarity with programing in Rust, CUDA, OpenCL, and Fortran 90
- Contractors on demand
- Rice Professor/Lead Engineer/Graduate Students daily contact and weekly progress meetings
Should be able to lift up to 25 pounds (moving computers and other related equipment). Must be able to work at a computer for extended periods of time (up to 8 hours).Working Conditions
Monday through Friday, flexible hours during normal 40 hour work week.Security Sensitive Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Optional but strongly encouraged: Under Other Document please submit links to gihub or similar software repositories with example of work and projects that you think is relevant for the positions and highlights your qualifications.Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.rice.edu/postings/18611 Job Duties Job Duty Name Essential Functions Description of Job Duty
- Conceptualizes design, implement, and develop solutions for complex system/programs independently
- Works with a variety of users to gain information, and develops intra-system tradeoffs between different users, as necessary
- Interacts with a diverse client base and outside vendor contacts
- Documents system builds and application configurations
- Maintains and updates documentation as needed
- Provides technical analysis, design, development, conversion, and implementation work
- Provides production system support and issue resolution
- Works as a project leader, as needed, for projects of moderate complexity
- Serves as a technical resource for applications
- Compares, evaluates, and implements new features and technologies, and integrates them into the computing environment
- Mentors lower level developer/programmers
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Works on assignment with faculty and research groups as a software developerApplicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- References/Recommendation Request
- Other Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree or higher in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering or a related field?
- * Do you have five or more years of experience in software development, including network stack and distributed systems?
- * Please provide the salary or range that you would require or consider for this position.
(Open Ended Question)