Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-03-01
The Accounting Analyst is responsible for activities and transactions related to accounts payable including accounting of all trade payables and payments made through the UVA Physicians Group (UPG), and for ensuring that payments are properly supported and approved and in compliance with UPG policies and procedures. The incumbent acts in a supportive role to the Staff Accountants and provides leadership to the Accounting Assistant in all areas related to his/her accounts payable duties.
- Resolves non-routine, accounts payable issues as they arise. Uses judgment to decide on the best course of action. Elevates issues to the Accounting Manager when necessary.
- Leads the daily Accounts Payable activities, and delegates work and provides direction to the Accounting Assistant.
- Prepares general ledger entries, and handles new coding procedures for new clinical unties, such as HOPE.
- Properly records UPG payables in a computer-based accounts payable system, including, creating vouchers and debit/credit memos. Reviews invoices to assure timeliness, mathematical accuracy, proper approvals, proper treatment of sales tax and adherence to existing policies, while recording same.
- Maintains UPG vendor master lists.
- Reviews assigned ledger accounts on payment requests, while recording, which requires solid knowledge of proper accounting classifications of expenditures as well as understanding UPG’s general ledger account structures. Makes recommendation for changes if appropriate.
- Prepares assigned general ledger account reconciliations with proper documentation to ensure compliance with UPG policies and procedures.
- Assists with troubleshooting and resolving problems with A/P software system and coordinates resolutions to problems.
- Tracks recurring invoices to ensure that contractual agreements for payments are honored in a timely fashion while also ensuring that those payments discontinue when the contracts expire.
- Provides information to Payroll for the tracking of taxable and non-taxable moving expenses and gifts for W2 purposes.
- Prepares annual vendor-related tax forms (1099s) for submission to IRS. This includes identification of vendors, which should be issued 1099s, as well as analyzing payments made to those vendors to determine which payments are reportable. Sends W9 requests Bi-annually to 1099 recipients. Performs TIN matching for new vendors.
- Enters wires into A/P system. Records outgoing wires through the A/P system, to maintain accurate records within the accounts payable module, and track expenditures and 1099 information. Monthly reconciliation of Wires to CRJ bank information.
- Communicates with external vendors and researches information in order to resolve payables related vendor problems.
- Serves as liaison between UPG, UPG Administrative unit, Clinical Departments, outside vendors, and Bank of America.
- Prepares special G/L account analyses when requested by supervisor or management. This involves researching and explaining account transactions by locating source documents and reconciling to the G/L.
- Distributes, records, and tracks purchase order forms. Reviews and matches completed purchase order forms to incoming invoices, resolving discrepancies and ensuring completeness before payments to vendors are made.
- Recommends changes to policies and procedures to supervisor, in order to improve the accuracy and efficiency of the A/P unit.
- Provides assistance and information to new staff that are responsible for making purchases and requesting payments, to ensure that UPG policies and procedures are adhered to and that the paperwork flows as smoothly as possible.
- Communicates with internal and external auditors for cash disbursement and A/P related activity in connection with periodic internal reviews as well as the annual independent audit. This involves preparation of special audit schedules and reports, and research and analysis of general ledger, payables accounts and vendor accounts.
- Prepares and reconciles the administrative and clinical lease schedules.
- Provides support to the staff accountants by providing information as needed.
- Submits Vendor File for Sanctions Screening timely and in accordance with internal audit’s recommendation.
- Prepares monthly assigned Journal Entries and re-class as necessary.
- Completes other projects and tasks as assigned by Supervisor.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Associate degree in business or accounting a plus.
- College-level business or accounting course work or equivalent experience is preferred.
- General knowledge of accounting practice and theory.
- Two years practical experience working in accounts payable.
- Knowledge of automated accounts payable systems a plus.
- Prior multidivisional accounts payable/general ledger experience a plus.
- Basic experience working with automated general ledger systems preferred.
Knowledge and skills:
- Ability to use judgment to apply accounting policies and principles to handle unusual or new situations.Basic knowledge of and experience utilizing a computer.
- Basic word processing and spreadsheet skills required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Epicor, OnBase and Vivid CPM/Flex a plus.